Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Pricing and labelling - any trading standards bods out there???

(7 Posts)
jajawunderbar Wed 19-Feb-14 19:40:19

I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this, as I am currently in battle with a major retailer about this! I purchased an item of clothing from an outlet store with an outlet label which read "original highstreet price £13, our price £9.50". However, there was an original store price label also attached - which I only noticed when I cut it off - which read £9. Is this legal???
Thanks in anticipation.

Joules68 Wed 19-Feb-14 19:44:00

Maybe that was a sale price?

jajawunderbar Wed 19-Feb-14 19:48:06

No, it was an original label, not a reduction.

Longlive2014 Thu 20-Feb-14 09:43:53

I'm guessing it's ** they will just claim prices are subject to change and mention inflation no doubt. They are known to over inflate original prices anyway, and get away with it, I saw it on the dailymail a few weeks back I'm sure... But then they are as bad with false stories lol

prh47bridge Thu 20-Feb-14 10:10:17

"Original high street price" means they are claiming that this was the price originally charged for the product. It does not mean that they themselves ever charged that (unless, of course, the product has only ever been available through their stores), nor does it mean that this was their price immediately before the current price. However, if they have offered the product at a lower price for a significant period they should have stated that.

If you think they have broken the regulations you should refer the matter to your local trading standards.

LauraBridges Thu 20-Feb-14 11:01:35

And there's a "prices practices guide" of BIS which is worth downloading and reading if you into this kind of thing.

jajawunderbar Thu 20-Feb-14 17:29:00

Thanks all, I spoke to Trading Standards today, who are looking into it as the store may have committed an offence due to misleading labelling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now