Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

A photo of my face has been used in a publication is this legal?

(14 Posts)
againsttheoddsididit Sun 16-Feb-14 05:30:56

I am a teacher. Recently a pupil came to me and said that he had seen a picture of me in a library book. I thought he was joking. He showed the photo to me. It was a photo of a woman (with my face, not body) lying in the red sea reading a newspaper. I was completely shocked. It was definitely me, There was nothing offensive about the photo. It was an Usbourne science publication aimed at older primary school children. Is it illegal to use my photo in a a publication in this way?

Eminybob Sun 16-Feb-14 05:38:03

Are you 100% sure it wasn't just a really uncanny doppelgänger ?

againsttheoddsididit Sun 16-Feb-14 05:46:26

No I am not 100% sure but 98%. It was almost certainly me.

FatNotFit Sun 16-Feb-14 06:12:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RedHelenB Sun 16-Feb-14 11:13:03

Have you been in the red sea reading a newspaper? If not, then it won't be you anyway surely?

Lilymaid Sun 16-Feb-14 11:23:58

Red Sea or Dead Sea? The Dead Sea is the one you can float in easily because of its high salt content. (Not that this helps answer OP's question)

LauraBridges Sun 16-Feb-14 15:30:19

It depends. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you cannot use intrusive pictures, e.g. telephoto lens on private land but you can say take footage of people attending a football match and use it without their permission. it is pretty likely therefore you were on a public beach and they could use the image in my view so I doubt you'll make millions from this or get all the books scrapped but you could certainly write to the publishers and see what they say. Also they are not suggesting you endorsed a product. It is just a random picture so probably okay in law in my view.

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:32:11

She can't be you if she hasn't got your body. I'm not sure I understand.

Also who took the photo?

GoofyIsACow Sun 16-Feb-14 15:33:40

Is your face superimposed on?

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:34:57

Is this you?

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:37:05

or this?

PoorOldCat Sun 16-Feb-14 15:43:57

What I'm trying to say (badly ) is that there are hundreds of images out there of random people reading newspapers in the dead sea.

It's really unlikely to be you.

firesidechat Mon 17-Feb-14 09:28:53

Like others have said, there are probably hundreds of people photographed reading papers while floating in the Dead Sea. It's a complete cliché. The publishers of the book would have no reason to superimpose your face on another person's body for this picture. She just looks like you.

againsttheoddsididit Mon 17-Feb-14 17:30:01

It was The Dead Sea. I have had contact from someone online from that publishing company with some advice. Thanks for all the comments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now