Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Fence ownership in terrace

(13 Posts)
MilestoneMum Sat 15-Feb-14 17:20:57

I live mid terrace so how do I know if the fence which broke in last night's storm is my responsibility or my neighbour's?

I have read my house deeds etc but this makes no mention of fences.

MrsBW Sat 15-Feb-14 17:26:58

Do your deeds have plans on them?

If so, the plans may have 'T' shapes on the boundaries.

The T shapes show you whose boundary it is and who is therefore responsible for fences.

I'll try and find a link explaining...

MrsBW Sat 15-Feb-14 17:28:49

More info here

blueberryboybait Sat 15-Feb-14 17:32:27

In all the terraces we have lived in we were responsible for the bottom and left fences when mid terrace.

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Feb-14 17:33:59

It will be in your deeds. You can so entires get a clue by looking to see which side the posts are on as usually when you own a fence you would put the 'good side' without the posts on your side but that's bit a clear cut way.

digerd Sat 15-Feb-14 19:23:17

Details of fence ownership/responsibility is on the list of questions the solicitor gets the seller to complete and sign as info for the buyer.

Fairylea Sat 15-Feb-14 19:24:30

I've had this conversation with the land registry this week. If there is no t on the fence / boundary then it is a dual party fence ie belongs to both.

MilestoneMum Sun 16-Feb-14 08:36:57

No "T"s on plans and previous occupants answered that question on questionnaire by saying Not Known...

MilestoneMum Sun 16-Feb-14 08:37:51

And our fence posts look the same on both sides...

Fairylea Sun 16-Feb-14 12:15:08

If that's the case then the land registry will say they are party fences and joint responsibility.

KirstyJC Sun 16-Feb-14 12:19:40

Ours are like this too, old boundaries and nothing in the deeds, reported as 'not known' on the questionnaire.

A fence has blown down and although it is the neighbours fence for sure, as it is inside her garden behind the wall that divides the gardens, the wall itself is both our responsibilities. It needs repairing as some stones have come loose, and I doubt the neighbour will be able to replace the fence, so we are probably going to have to do it. But we will speak to her about it first!

Have you spoken to your neighbours? Do they know who put the existing fence up? They may agree to go halves with you if it is unclear.

MilestoneMum Mon 17-Feb-14 08:27:30

Houses were built in 1976 so not that old. A neighbour further down the terrace has said that hers is on the right, I don't know how she knows this though.

I haven't spoken to my neighbour yet, I have no reason to believe she will be anything other than reasonable, I just wanted a heads up from MNetters in the know. A whole website dedicated to Garden Law, who knew?!

Ifcatshadthumbs Mon 17-Feb-14 08:30:38

When we lived in a terrace our fences were dual responsibilty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now