Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlords us or neighbours ?

(8 Posts)
FerretsRule Sat 15-Feb-14 11:04:48

Rented property but not sure if landlord's problem ours or next doors?
Im pretty certain its our boundry fence 99%
Next doors giant tree has fallen in the wind and ripped our fence up with its roots tree is in their garden
Who's responsibility is it to replace the fence as i have 2 big dogs and now cant let them out in the garden for fear they can get into next door and from there to the road and beyond

sooperdooper Sat 15-Feb-14 11:09:42

I think your landlord and neighbour should split the cost 50/50

LIZS Sat 15-Feb-14 11:13:06

It is your responsibility to keep the dogs in and whoever is legally responsible for the boundary to decide whether to replace or not.

Joules68 Sat 15-Feb-14 11:25:20

So the tree will need removing first?

Big expense all round. What a nightmare. Guess it won't be anytime soon.

Collaborate Sat 15-Feb-14 13:25:41

If the tree was obviously in poor health before it fell down, the owner may be liable. If it appeared to be in good health my understanding is that each property owner will have to repair their side of the boundary.

ivykaty44 Sat 15-Feb-14 13:26:49

Next doors house Insurance?

specialsubject Sat 15-Feb-14 16:19:35

contact your landlord and pass the problem to him. The only person who definitely isn't responsible is you.

don't expect an instant fix, not at the moment.

FerretsRule Sat 15-Feb-14 16:31:48

Thanks all and LIZS yes i will be keeping my dogs in and under control as i said by not letting them out in the back garden
Next door is an old folks home and while they love our dogs to bits and lean over for cuddles it only takes a second to accidentally knock over someone on a zimmer so will have to try doing more walks
saying that as i write DP is using some old chicken wire to block the hole so as long as i'm out with them it may be ok for now i hope but looks like more of their trees are on the way down sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now