Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Reversed into a skip on private driveway please help

(8 Posts)
Charleymouse Fri 14-Feb-14 11:54:46

I have stupidly driven into a skip.

The skip is on a private driveway with shared access for 4 properties.
(I might be able to put a picture up after lunch.) I have to pass it to get to my space.

It just appeared a couple of days ago, on the first day my DH had to move some slabs from the side of the drive opposite the skip so I could gain access to my parking space.

The skip has no lights or reflectors on it and is tight for me to get past as such my parking sensors were beeping from the other side which is long grass and a low wall.

Am I entrely liable for all the damage to my car? If not what do I do. I have not contacted the insurance company yet.

The skip is completly unscathed due to my stupidity. DOH.

Rockchick1984 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:41:28

Who else's fault can it be confused

flowery Fri 14-Feb-14 12:45:57

"The skip has no lights or reflectors on it"

Are you saying you didn't realise it was there? Sorry, not sure about the relevance of the lights.

Pooka Fri 14-Feb-14 12:50:16

I think that you would be liable.

Skp is on private land.

You should not have attempted to pass it even if you were accessing your space, if you did not judge it to be safe.

You knew it was there and could presumably see it. In the dark you would have had your car lights on, you were previously aware that it was there. The lights have to be on a skip on a road - to alert drivers who don't know the skp is there. Wouldn't apply on private land IMO.

Gladvent Fri 14-Feb-14 13:00:17

Yes it is your own fault. I drove into a stationary object earlier this week. DH says it doesn't matter, we'll get it fixed, it's only money. I however am still mad at myself for being to stupid. You have my sympathy.

Charleymouse Sat 15-Feb-14 07:51:53

Thank you for your help. I assumed it was entirely my fault seeing as how it was me that did it.

I was just moaning at my stupidity at work and someone suggests if the skip was not lit or had cones then the skip company may share a proportion of the liability.

Just chancing it so see if there is any way I can help reduce the costs to myself. (Feeling only partially to blame would also make me feel not such an ass) grin

Gladvent, I feel your pain.

Thanks again for your comments.

MellowAutumn Sat 15-Feb-14 10:57:09

Have you contacted the driver of the skip ? :P

insancerre Sat 15-Feb-14 11:03:11

I think the lights only apply if it is parked on the road
as it is on private property then I expect you are fully liable for any damage to your own car

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now