Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I claim this money back from ExH?

(9 Posts)
KingRollo Tue 11-Feb-14 07:51:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

prh47bridge Tue 11-Feb-14 09:02:49

Have you reached a financial settlement yet? If you haven't the car and the business are assets of the marriage and should be taken into account. It sounds like this was a short marriage which will be a consideration in determining how the assets are split.

If you have reached a financial settlement the court order almost certainly includes a clause dismissing future claims, in which case it is too late.

KingRollo Tue 11-Feb-14 09:18:29

babybarrister Tue 11-Feb-14 14:59:03

if he has no money all you could get is spousal maintenance as well as child maintenance

it is one thing having an order, it is another actually to get the cash ....

lostdad Tue 11-Feb-14 14:59:37

It's a marital asset pure and simple and will go into the `marital pot' when it comes to settlement.

As prh47bridge says, the length of your marriage will have a bearing on how assets are distributed as will where any children you may have spend most of their time.

It's worth noting that who put into the marriage has little bearing on sharing out assets that were shared whilst you were together.

LauraBridges Tue 11-Feb-14 16:20:18

Yes, doesn't matter who put what in. Countless women never earn a penny and take a fortune on divorce and it applies the other way round too. Just because you supported someone or bought their food or clothes does not mean you claim that back on divorce.

Divorce law is very unfair and should be changed.

KingRollo Tue 11-Feb-14 20:00:53

prh47bridge Tue 11-Feb-14 23:25:05

Since it seems the messages before haven't been clear enough, no you are not. Everything became an asset of the marriage when you married. You may get something as part of the financial settlement but you have no separate entitlement to reclaim any loans you made before getting married.

You may not be looking for a settlement but you should sort one out as part of the divorce even if it says that neither of you pays anything to the other. If you don't and you win the lottery or come into a big inheritance in the future he may be able to make a claim against you.

LauraBridges Wed 12-Feb-14 10:19:50

King, not really. If you both work full time as my ex and I do but one earns more then the lower earner gets the undeserved bonus. If the nurse marries the millionaire and she carries on nursing and gives nothing up she gets a massive bonus (as my husband did who worked full time and sacrificed nothing).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now