Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Fence

(5 Posts)
vj32 Sat 08-Feb-14 18:31:44

We have just moved house and on one side have a HUGE new fence. On our side it is well over 2m high. The supports for the base of the fence are on our side of the boundary (or possibly both sides, can't tell). The fence is very ugly, not otherwise a big issue as it is their fence and their boundary to maintain. But, I really want to paint it. All the rest of the garden is mature shrubs, other then this really pale huge fence with no planting near it (it was all pulled out by the neighbour's contractors before we moved in).

So, what is the worst that can happen if we paint it and the neighbours complain?

If the fence is on the boundary line are they allowed to put supports on our side of the boundary? (So if they threaten to make us replace the fence if the paint leaks through then could we threaten to dispute the position of the fence?)

I realise this is petty, but it is a HUGE fence and I am currently stuck in the house all the time ill so spend a lot of time looking at it. Or is there any other way to hide and disguise a huge fence without spending hundreds and hundreds of pounds on planting?

Twinsplusonesurprise Sat 08-Feb-14 22:51:10

Could you not ask the neighbours if they have any objection?
I don't think I would if it were me - as long as you used appropriate paint. I'd prefer to be asked though!
Are you sure it's their fence? Usually the supports are on the side if the owner.

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 08-Feb-14 22:58:42

Maybe wait til youve settled in and gotten used to it, and maybe asked your neighbour about it. Rather than just m

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sat 08-Feb-14 22:59:38

Oving in and paintig their fence. Not a great way to foster good relations with the people you will live next to for years to come.

Methe Sat 08-Feb-14 22:59:59

Anything over 6ft needs planning permission.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now