Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Stuck with finances

(5 Posts)
Bluesandgreen Sat 08-Feb-14 00:49:25

My ex Husband won't sign the forms to allow DD to go to the private school she's just got into. It is a requirement that both parents sign. We have agreed that I will pay the fees but the forms are also a contract for fees and he does not want to do this in case I default. He is happy for DD to go otherwise.

I thought about drawing up another contract between us that says I will pay - he says it still wouldn't work as it would still be him signing a contract with the school so they would still chase him and if I couldn't meet their contract why should I be able meet one between him and me. I see his point but is there anything we could do about this?

Has anyone managed to persuade a school to draw up a different contract from an NRP who refuses to sign the standard one?

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 08-Feb-14 07:58:38

I have it written into the consent order that I will pay the fees. A copy of this should sent to the school should illustrate to them that only you are financially responsible and satisfy him.

Bluesandgreen Sat 08-Feb-14 08:25:25

We divorced several years ago when DD was still in state primary so there is nothing in our order about school fees sadly.

TheGirlFromIpanema Sat 08-Feb-14 08:34:13

Do the school really need your ex to sign? Have you explicitly asked?

I would imagine a co-signatory is probably more for guarantor type reasons in case of default. What if a child had only one parent?

I would ask them, if say, my parents, could co-sign instead.

Bluesandgreen Sat 08-Feb-14 11:40:35

I think the school don't like the idea of having parents squabbling over school and want them both to agree to school rules. I think it's because they know he has contact and PR they want him to sign. I got tge impression if he'd been off the scene then it wouldn't have been an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now