Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

dispute resolution services for deposit protection schemes - are they fair?

(7 Posts)
cansu Wed 05-Feb-14 18:24:27

Am having difficulty with ex landlord and getting my deposit back. Are these services fair? Landlord has a v chummy relationship with dodgy estate agent and am worried they will try and stitch me up by making up new documents etc. There was no inventory and there have been no inspections or even any interest from either of them in seven years. As soon as I announced we were moving landlord came round and said property looked fine. As my moving date approached he realised he would need to do plenty of work to property as it hasn't been touched for 15 years at all. Now he is claiming that house was filthy (it wasn't I cleaned it and took photos to show it was clean and tidy), that backs of radiators were brown and gungy (no idea what he is on about, it is probably rusty gunge from an old, leaky radiator) and that one of the carpets smellt of urine (no idea why he would say this). I disputed all this, but he is now turning nasty and is phoning and texting me when I have already said I will deal with it via the deposit protection scheme. Can I rely on their services? Will they look at the evidence fairly? I know he has had house completely redecorated, new windows, paint, flooring etc and am concerned that he wants to have property cleaned after decorating and then charge me for it!

specialsubject Wed 05-Feb-14 20:07:04

with no inventory, he's wasting his time. Especially with your photos.

ignore his phone calls and texts. Contact the DPS for advice. It's nothing to do with the estate agent.

next time get an inventory.

tiredoutgran Thu 06-Feb-14 21:08:14

If there is no inventory and you have photos to show he is talking rubbish, if you had been a tenant for 7 years with no maintenance done by him, if he can't prove that he had decorated etc within the last 15 years etc etc he has no chance. I would definitely go for dispute resolution, 7 years is a lot of wear and tear, you don't have to lose any sleep over it. The onus is all on him to prove everything.

Chunderella Thu 06-Feb-14 21:22:31

In my experience the tenant will certainly get a fair hearing. The onus will be on LL to prove the damage was caused during your tenancy. Without an inventory, he's fucked.

cansu Thu 06-Feb-14 22:23:12

Thanks. I will just make sure then that I send in my evidence. I am also going to have to keep screening calls as they have called me a couple of times ranting that they are keeping the deposit.

NotCitrus Thu 06-Feb-14 22:30:03

When did you move in? 15 years ago would be before the DPS started, wouldn't it?

lovelifeat40 Wed 12-Feb-14 12:45:17

cansu, I have had a nightmare to get my deposit repaid as well. I would advise you to follow that procedure with the DPS.
1- initiate a joint repayment request, you can do this online.
as I suspect your LL will ignore/refuse to agree, wait 2 weeks then initiate a single claim, it involves getting a statutory declaration form signed by a sollicitor, but it only costs a fiver. If your LL doesn't reply within 14 calendar days you get your full deposit back, or it will go into the ADR (Adjudication) where it will be for the LL to prove, as he has no inventory, he is toast!!!! Best you call the DPS, beware it's a 0844 number that could cost you an arm tho.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now