Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

changing schools without my knowledge

(8 Posts)
rlucas220 Mon 03-Feb-14 20:20:09

My ex wife announced to me she is changing my boys school to one which is more local to her. Its just been in the paper for having a really poor ofsted report and been placed on special measures.
She has not discussed this with me and refuses to give me an opportunity to raise my concerns.
The school they go to at the moment is in between her house and mine so in my veiw we can both pick them up. My eldest son has aspergers and doesn't cope well with change, he has to go to secondary school in 18months and I just think it's throwing the rest of this year down the drain. He's doing really well at his school at the moment and it's not fair to do this to him now.
I've read about emergency preventative steps orders can anyone advise if this would be possible to stop this move??

Toffee2014 Mon 03-Feb-14 22:34:06

That's sounds tough, I think it's best if you are both happy with school choice, did you tend to pick up the children equally or did she or you do more? Even if she does move them it's not fair to not discuss with you, is there anyone who could help mediate between you both instead? I think PSOs tend to be used for not removing children from country but I guess it could be used for that too.

rlucas220 Mon 03-Feb-14 22:51:44

She pick them up most but moving them would mean I cant at all so would restrict my time to just weekends.we are seeing a mediater at the boys school but she's already said thats whats happening and won't listen to a word I anyone says.

prh47bridge Tue 04-Feb-14 00:22:38

Do you have PR? If so you have the right to be consulted before any such move is made. Yes, you could get a Prohibited Steps Order. You will only need an emergency one if she intends to make the move in the near future.

prh47bridge Tue 04-Feb-14 00:24:03

Sorry - should have said you can apply for a PSO. Whether or not you would actually get one depends on what the courts think is in the children's best interests.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Tue 04-Feb-14 00:26:51

A prohibited Steps Order to prevent any immediate move and/or a Specific Issue Order for the Court to determine which school he should go to, if you can't agree. You really need to do your homework and prove why his current school is better. Letting you have more contact won't be a good enough reason.

prh47bridge Tue 04-Feb-14 09:30:11

Sorry - I failed to notice that you described your ex as your ex wife. You do therefore have PR. She should not make this decision without consulting you.

In addition to the legal steps, I suggest you write to the LA and the schools involved pointing out that you do not have PR and do not consent to the proposed change. They should put any move on hold until either you have agreed with your ex or the courts have made a ruling.

The odds will be somewhat in your favour as you are defending the status quo, so it is for your ex to show why the change is in your children's best interests. But, as the last poster says, you should also make sure you can justify why it is in their best interests to remain at their current school.

TeacupDrama Wed 05-Feb-14 15:48:48

if you have PR you are entitled to every single school letter and report to be sent directly to you they can not ask your ex to share her copy they are responsible for it getting to you an email address would be a good idea
if they are giving your child 2 copies 1 for ex and 1 for you it is possible the one for you is being destroyed therefore you can ask for all communications to come direct to you not via ex.

also both of you need to consent to everything like school trips etc and you must have the information; you need to see headteacher urgently to ensure this happens and a preventive court order maybe needed asap

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: