Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Best time to start divorce proceedings for me and children

(4 Posts)
October313 Sat 25-Jan-14 12:44:05

Hi,

I have been separated from H for almost 4 years. We have 3 children all teenagers.

I am currently living in the joint marital home and paying all bills, mortgage.

H has debts and very low income so no child support. He wants the house sold so he can be free of me and says he will sign all over to me, which is quite a big mortgage. Problem is he is unwilling to take action as he has no money. I just know that when I set things in motion conflict will arise as it always does. I am scared that I will start divorce proceedings and it will cost me a fortune as he will play what ever power games he can.

I can meet bills etc and provide a decent enough life for my children, but every penny counts and I would rather not throw money away fighting him.

If work full time hours but only have a part time contract, so on paper earn lower than I do which means I would not get enough of a mortgage in my own name.

I am applying for full time jobs and hopefully an opportunity will come my way later this year which will make me more independent. Should I hold off until then.

MauriceMinor Fri 14-Feb-14 03:23:18

Friendly bump

SageMist Fri 14-Feb-14 08:24:21

I don't have any legal advice, but it occurs to me reading your post, that he wants things to change and you don't. If that's so, then why do you have to do anything? Can you wait until he starts divorce proceedings himself?

Mind you I think I'd take some legal advice as well.

millymolls Fri 14-Feb-14 08:39:49

Again, this is not legal advice and i'm aware you are posting on a legal board, but if there are no assets other than the house equity (and he is prepared to sign that over to you) I think you could divorce quite cheaply if you can agree on the splits. He should be paying child maintenance even if he has a low income btw.

You mention that conflict will arise - relating to what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now