Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Dual GB/Thai nationality means my son would have to do national service in Thailand?

(6 Posts)
worriedmum2014 Fri 24-Jan-14 13:23:39

Hi, I'm British, my ex husband is Thai and he has had a British passport which he acquired before we divorced over 10 years ago. My son was born and has always lived here with me.
His father lives in the UK and visits Thailand frequently. He now wants to get dual Thai nationality for his son so he can inherit a property in Thailand. I had heard ages ago that if my son got Thai nationality he will have to do National service there which is usually fighting Burmese drug smugglers in the jungle. I don't rate this very British boys chances. Where best to get the truth? I undestand my ex wanting to leave his only son his property. He's only ever worked as a waiter here and has never helped with his upkeep other than the occasional visit and treats. But I'd rather he left his property to his Thai family than lumber our son with national service. (all forums seem exclusively devoted to Thai woman/British man) and the Thai embassy website is no help.

DrankSangriaInThePark Fri 24-Jan-14 13:25:52

Only the Thai authorities can confirm if that is the case or not. Are you sure Thailand accepts dual nationality first and foremost? That can be easily checked, because if it doesn't, then he would be in the clear, as it were.

worriedmum2014 Fri 24-Jan-14 14:28:41

Thanks, very sensible. I think I'd best call the Thai Embassy.

It seems lots of people do have both passports, leaving and re entering the UK on a British on and using a Thai one the other end. I don't like or want any dodgy stuff although I can imagine his dad coming up with some malarkey. I do have a residence order in my favour but have allowed his dad to take him over (and gone along with them when he was small).

worley Fri 24-Jan-14 14:36:02

I'll watch this with interest.
My db gf is currently pregnant, although they will stay in Thailand till baby is school age and then return here as the schools system is better here. They are talking about having a dual passport, will that mean if the baby is a boy he will have to do national service when older?
(Db gf is Thai)

nickymanchester Fri 24-Jan-14 17:29:01

I can't speak about Thailand but my dc do have dual nationality with a different country where they also have conscription.

For their country, even if they go back then as long as they can demonstrate that they are not resident in the country then they are exempt. But if they were to move back permanently then they would have to do it.

However, many young men in this country get round it by bribing doctors to give them medical certificates to show that they are not fit enough or find other ways of getting out of it - there's a lot of corruption.

What happens in Thailand may be totally different and you do need expert advice. I'm just giving an example of the sort of things that happen in another country with a similar situation.

worriedmum2014 Thu 20-Feb-14 18:05:39

Sorry it's taken me forever to get back to this post. More immediate problems popped up. So I still need to talk to the embassy.

Nickymanchester, I think Thailand probably has a similar level palm greasing ways round it. His dad's from a very modest background so I'm not sure if he knows the drill.

Back when France still had national service my old boyfriend drank I don't know how much black coffee, staying up for 24 hours straight and they decided his heart wasn't up to it. Not sure if there were lasting effects. Maybe his heart was already dodgy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now