Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

School plays and songs

(5 Posts)
BatmanLovesIckyBarry Tue 12-Nov-13 20:34:21

Will do - thanks smile

sadwidow28 Tue 12-Nov-13 20:32:48

Check whether your Local Authority has purchased copyright cover for all primary school before you lay out any costs.

BatmanLovesIckyBarry Tue 12-Nov-13 08:11:06

That's really helpful, prh, thank you. We are a small school, so the lowest cost would apply. Thanks again!

prh47bridge Mon 11-Nov-13 22:15:50

You need a license from the publisher otherwise you are in breach of copyright. The simple way to do it is to get a license from the Performing Rights Society - this covers most songs. How much this costs depends on the size of your school. It starts at £70.91 + VAT if you have less than 200 pupils, goes up to £79.18 + VAT if you have up to 250 pupils. If you have more than 250 pupils you have to add £11.23 + VAT for every additional 50 pupils.

BatmanLovesIckyBarry Mon 11-Nov-13 21:45:02

Sorry to drop this one and run, but off out in a mo.

Would anyone be able to tell me about singing pop songs and the like in the end of Year 6 play? We are planning to write our own script, and would like to use modernish songs in it, eg 80s and 90s pop songs.

I've been Googling to find out if we would have to get performance rights etc, but the internet is full of massively conflicting information! I don't want to diddle anyone out of anything, but equally, we don't charge parents to come, so the less outlay the better.

Could anybody help me?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now