Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is there anyone who can help with employment advice please?

(9 Posts)
spindlyspindler Wed 27-Nov-13 20:03:01

PS discrimination claims are very technical and complicated - your friend really would be best advised to get at least some preliminary advice from a solicitor.

spindlyspindler Wed 27-Nov-13 20:01:31

She should ask her GP and/or consultant to write to her employer setting out what her condition is and their view as to whether or not she is disabled within the meaning of the Equality Act. If she is, then they have a duty not to discriminate against her and to make reasonable adjustments to her role. That could include reducing her hours but it depends on all of the circumstances including the role and the business.

The EOC has quite a good guide on reasonable adjustments here:

and your friend should also look at the other sections on disability discrimination to see if any of that applies to her too.

If your friend has house insurance, she might find that she's covered for legal expenses insurance which may enable her to get advice as to whether or not she might have a claim against them. She should do this soon as claims to the ET have strict time limits (in discrimination claims 3 months less one day after the last discriminatory act; it's more complicated for reasonable adjustments claims which is why your friend should take advice).

If your friend doesn't have house insurance, she can pay for advice; she can approach FRU (Free Representation Unit) if she's within the M25; most universities that teach law have law clinics run by student volunteers; or she could try the Bar Pro Bono Unit. Or the CAB, if she can find one that's managed to stay open.

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts Wed 13-Nov-13 05:16:07

Read the gov info on the equality act - they have an
Informative page, or did last year when I looked.

She has to start using the word 'disabled' or 'chronically ill' rather than just ill and subject to general sick leave rules.

They have to make 'reasonable adjustments', pay for an OH visit to establish any physical aids that could help. They can get money off the changes they make via a government grant as well.

AmandaCooper Tue 12-Nov-13 22:47:07

What does your friend want? Does she want to find a way to keep her job and work out a solution with her manager or is she thinking of making a claim against the employer?

munkysea Tue 12-Nov-13 22:36:45

^^ Good places to look for help too.

joanofarchitrave Tue 12-Nov-13 22:32:55

Has she got a union? Or she might have legal cover with her household insurance?

munkysea Tue 12-Nov-13 22:30:26

She really needs to speak to a solicitor or legal executive specialising in employment law about her employer's conduct. I assume because you're posting here that that may not be a feasible option due to the expense. If she's in the UK she should also try making an appointment with the Citizen's Advice Bureau to discuss the situation.

Should she consider that her condition means that she is disabled, she may be able to contact a relevant disability charity for an explanation of her rights in the workplace in general and how they are affected by her disability. Obviously, they would probably not be able to comment specifically on her circumstances or provide legal advice.

RedHelenB Mon 11-Nov-13 07:22:03

Nothing would surprise me in a private education setting! Legally no.

moldingsunbeams Sun 10-Nov-13 19:31:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now