Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Copy birth certificates - how official?

(7 Posts)
prh47bridge Mon 23-Dec-13 14:35:32

Most of the advice on this thread is correct but I'm afraid the copy will not be acceptable for DBS checks. They insist on a birth certificate issued at the time of birth so they won't accept your 1990 copy. The reasoning is that if you are in possession of the copy issued at the time of birth it is likely to be yours but a copy produced later does not prove your identity at all. A passport, however, includes other checks that you are who you say you are.

Fiddleandcats Sun 22-Dec-13 22:57:36

Thanks - I did check with the register office where my certified copy was issued, and they assured me that it would be fine. Next time I need a DBS check I'll tell them that. It's fairly silly not to accept a birth certificate that can be used to apply for a passport, but then to accept the passport! My passport expired in 1999 - apparently I need to apply as if for the first time.

ivykaty44 Sun 10-Nov-13 13:14:44

you can either obtain a copy of a birth certificate form the local register office where you were born or the head office - the GRO general register office.

A short birth certificate is not suitable for CRB checks but a long copy certificate is suitable for CRB and for passports - from either office they will automatically be certified

from a local register office the price will be around £10

from the GRO it will be £9.25 the phone number is 0300 123 1827

throckenholt Sun 10-Nov-13 13:08:13

needs to a certified full copy. If you need to get a replacement you can get one from the general register office (, or the office where it was registered (I think).

If you are renewing a passport rather than getting one for the first time, you don't need a birth certificate (just done mine and didn't need anything except photos, fee and previous passport - mine had expired a few years back).

RedHelenB Sun 10-Nov-13 12:59:23

It will need to be the full copy though rather than the short copy. HTH.

NickNacks Sun 10-Nov-13 11:18:00

The original would have been a certified copy too since the 'original' is the entry in the register (the actual book). So yes, it's fine for everything , including crb (called DBS now).

Fiddleandcats Sun 10-Nov-13 11:12:34

I lost my original birth certificate, and have a certified copy from the original register office, dated 1990. Can I use this to apply for a passport, and if not, what do I do? It isn't acceptable for CRB checks, apparently. Is there a way of getting a copy that is acceptable for everything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now