Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any one know of a good website offering info about how inheritance works?

(3 Posts)
jimijack Thu 07-Nov-13 13:55:07

Fil has a will leaving his house to DH & BIL.
BIL lives in the house with FIL.

When FIL dies, dh has said he would want the house sold. What about BIL as this is his home?

This isn't grabby, the three of them have been talking about this allot recently. DH is worried about where this leads in the event of FIL dying.

I have encouraged them to seek legal advice because I have seen this situation turn very nasty for some friends. Almost identical situation but 15 years ago.

Destroyed the remaining family relationship totally sadly.

mumblechum1 Fri 08-Nov-13 17:06:46

If your father in law doesn't want your BIL to be turfed out immediately, he can either:

1. Grant him a right of residence for whatever term he likes, 6,12,24 months


2. Grant him a life interest. Unless there is some reason why the BIL can't rehome himself, eg severe disability, I would advise against this, as it would mean that your DH would have to wait until BILs death before he received his share of the estate.

I'm a will writer and can offer further info if you need it.

jimijack Fri 08-Nov-13 18:46:14

No disability at all.
Thanks, I will pm you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now