Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.


(3 Posts)
Collaborate Fri 08-Nov-13 18:27:04

If he buys your brothers interest in the house the court can on divorce transfer that to you. The court will find a way for you to separate. You're better off him having the other half interest rather than an estranged brother, to be honest.

Sainsburysbag Fri 08-Nov-13 12:00:51

What a horrible situation to be in, feeling like your husband and brother could be ganging up to make things even more difficult for you.
My best advice is to make an appointment to get a free half hour with a lawyer. You can just go onto and look for solicitors in your area and see if they state whether they offer the free half hour consultation, they also usually state whether they offer Legal Aid. You can make appointments with a few solicitors until you find one you feel comfortable with.
They will certainly give you immediate feedback on the legal situation regarding the house and maybe you can get going on the divorce too.
Is there any other family member or friend in RL who can help you with your brother? It would help so much if he was on your side.
Good luck!

mytimewillcome Wed 06-Nov-13 13:53:31

I own a house with my brother. He lived in it for 2 years. I still live in it 10 years on. My husband now lives here with me and our two children. We are going to separate and I want him to leave the house. But he has said that he will pay for my brothers part of the house and then I can't get him to leave. They can't do this without my consent can they? I have been trying to pay off my brother for years but I can never get anywhere. We aren't friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now