Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Ex has put a lock on my vehicle

(49 Posts)
Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 17:37:38


Been divorced since Feb, and in the family courts in January to try and sort out the finances.

Got a lift to work today, and come home to find my ex has put a lock on my vehicle. I'm assuming its my ex, really can't believe its anyone else.

The car is registered in my name, and is owned outright (its an old car).

Is there anything i can do to get him to take the lock off, he has his own vehicle although he claims its borrowed (when we separated he had his own car also).

Having to self rep in court, i just can't afford legal fees, or to ask for advice about this.

Only got a lift today as a friend had an hospital appointment near to where i work, so not an option any other day. Can't understand why hes done it, apart from to cause me as much hassle as he can, on top of the court case. I need to get 2 buses to work in the morning, and 2 back again, which is going to take hours, really need to find a way to get him to take the lock off.

purplewithred Wed 06-Nov-13 10:17:03

Another vote for police. Tell the kids the truth and let them come to their own conclusions.

Noregrets78 Wed 06-Nov-13 19:43:57

How have you got on OP?

Joy5 Thu 07-Nov-13 14:52:35

Still not done anything, had a uni deadline of 2pm today so spent every spare minute working on my essay for the past few days.

Am representing myself in family court in January, so thinking maybe i'll send a letter to my ex through his solicitor asking him to remove the lock.

Hoping his solicitor will tell him the legal position too, and i'll ask that its removed before we exchange papers in December.

Will think about it, and hopefully draft a letter tonight, and hope he sees the sense in removing it before papers are exchanged.

Really don't want to involve the police, but think i've no option if he doesn't remove it voluntarily.

Noregrets78 Thu 07-Nov-13 15:25:32

Can you be sure it's your ex though? Without any proof you're in danger of going down an expensive and time consuming route, whereas the police are quick and free. With no actual evidence of who's done it, police involvement would be absolutely appropriate.

caketinrosie Thu 07-Nov-13 15:31:21

Easier solution, jack up the car then let the tyre down and slide off the clamp. Then re inflate the tyre. Easy. Then do what you will to the clamp, perhaps take it to the police and record as found property. Don't call out the police, they can do nothing unfortunately! smile

MyNameIsInigoMontoya Thu 07-Nov-13 15:32:57

Sounds like harrassment to me, which is a police matter.

DontmindifIdo Thu 07-Nov-13 15:40:15

Call the police! Really, it'll take 10 minutes to call them if they think it's pointless, they will tell you so. But you don't know it's your Ex.

Also, right now, he thinks he can control you because he can. You are letting him stop you using a car you own. Why are you letting him do this? You might be worried about what your DCs think if he lies to them, but can you really let him treat you like shit for the rest of your life on the off chance that calling him on his crap will mean he tells lies? Tell your DCs the truth, or rather, could you confront them - ask them if they have put the lock on. If they say no, say you are calling the police because no one else has the right to do this and you want to make sure it's not a joke from them first.

Longdistance Thu 07-Nov-13 15:40:56

If there's no note then it probably is her ex. If it was bailiffs, I'm sure they would have left a note.

Yes, I too would class his as harassment. He knows too that you may not call the police because of your boys.

caketinrosie Thu 07-Nov-13 15:45:17

Easy solution. Jack up your car, deflate the tyre, slide off the lock and remove it, then inflate your tyre and carry on. The clamp is now found property and can be given to the police as found property. No point calling the police as they cannot cut the lock off and nor can they link your ex to the clamp. Also take a look at the new act protection of freedom 2012 (Google it) which talks specifically about clamping on private land. Goidelic luck. smile

caketinrosie Thu 07-Nov-13 15:45:40

Good luck ha ha

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Thu 07-Nov-13 15:52:47

Call the police! I know you are worried about the reaction of your sons, but if you ex is pulling stunts like this I suspect their sympathy for him will soon wear a bit thin.

strongandlong Thu 07-Nov-13 21:35:48

Call the police. Your ex has acted illegally. This info is for England, but it's the same in Wales and Scotland too :
If you think you have been illegally clamped

If you think you have been illegally clamped, keep calm and don't lose your temper. Don’t attempt to remove a wheel clamp as you could be sued for criminal damage if you damage it. You could be also prosecuted for theft if you keep the clamp.

Instead, call the police to explain you think you have been clamped illegally.

dopeysheep Sat 09-Nov-13 10:36:34

Nearly everyone has advised you to call the police but you won't do this.for fear of upsetting your teenagers?

There really isn't much anyone else can add I don't think.
I do like Rosie's solution of deflating the tyre though that's genius!

PukingCat Sat 09-Nov-13 10:40:13

Call the police!

It wouldn't be you upsetting the teenagers, it would be him. You hiding his behaviour from them will just make it easier for him to turn them against you! You are just playing into his hands!

Don't be a mug!

The solicitor letter route could take weeks to resolve.

If you go to the police then there is something on record if it escalates!

RandomMess Sat 09-Nov-13 10:43:37

Absolutely call the police, it's harrassment.

mummytime Sat 09-Nov-13 10:50:45

Call the police! If he is starting to harass you like this it will only get worse. Also it might help you qualify for legal aid.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 09-Nov-13 11:01:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 09-Nov-13 11:02:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Joy5 Sat 09-Nov-13 19:31:36

Tried the deflating tyre way, it didn't work. Locks just so big.

Already got legal action to keep him away from me, somehow my ex persuaded our two youngest sons i was at fault, and was trying to get him put in prison. Its easy to say its just upsetting teenagers, but i don't find it easy making them feel bad about their Dad, no matter how much he deserves it.

I've got two traumatised younger sons, whose father walked out 3 years after the sudden death of their eldest brother. i might come across as a mug, but really trying to do my best and not cause my younger sons any more pain or hurt.

As i'm self repping in court, i sent a letter to my ex's solicitor yesterday asking him to remove the lock. All its cost is the price of a stamp. Final paragraph was hoping the situation can be resolved by the time we submit papers to the courts. Just hoping he sees sense and removes the lock himself, i've photoed the lock too.

Even though i've got legal action against my ex, i'm still not eligible for legal aid.

PukingCat Sat 09-Nov-13 19:53:56

Oh i see sad

(sorry for the mug comment)


Joy5 Sat 09-Nov-13 20:25:42

Thanks Puking Cat lol

RL friends telling me more or less the same, but its really hard when ur ex does his best to cause problems between u and the sons, just because u try not to upset them any more by saying what he does to u.

Sons both seen car clamped, couldn't give one a lift earlier, so guessing tomorrow if/when they see their Dad, they'll have something to say to him anyway. Think he was hoping for a reaction from me, to give him a chance to have a go back, but i've not reacted to anything (apart from taking legal action agains his violence) so not going to give him the satisfaction now.

On the bright side, won't need to put petrol in the car for next week, has cost me bus fares, but no parking fees either so i think i'm a gainer financially due to his actions. Hes either bought or borrowed the lock, so either way its cost him something. And now hes got a letter to his solicitor hes got the cost of that too.

He either removes it like i've asked, or faces having it brought up at family court in January, its less then a month until we submit papers to the court.

RandomMess Sat 09-Nov-13 20:36:24

Can I just say, what an ARSE grin

DontmindifIdo Sat 09-Nov-13 21:46:02

oh love, you have been through the ringer haven't you? I still think you should call 101, just for advice more than anything, and to log it.

WeAreEternal Sun 10-Nov-13 09:06:02

IIWM I would have a friend come and cut the lock off and then 'bill' me for the work. I would then take that bill along with all bus tickets and file a small claim at the county court.
I may even throw in some compensation for pain and suffering, lost wages, and inconvenience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now