Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Ex has put a lock on my vehicle

(49 Posts)
Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 17:37:38


Been divorced since Feb, and in the family courts in January to try and sort out the finances.

Got a lift to work today, and come home to find my ex has put a lock on my vehicle. I'm assuming its my ex, really can't believe its anyone else.

The car is registered in my name, and is owned outright (its an old car).

Is there anything i can do to get him to take the lock off, he has his own vehicle although he claims its borrowed (when we separated he had his own car also).

Having to self rep in court, i just can't afford legal fees, or to ask for advice about this.

Only got a lift today as a friend had an hospital appointment near to where i work, so not an option any other day. Can't understand why hes done it, apart from to cause me as much hassle as he can, on top of the court case. I need to get 2 buses to work in the morning, and 2 back again, which is going to take hours, really need to find a way to get him to take the lock off.

Spirulina Tue 05-Nov-13 17:54:55

well im sure you will need proof....or a hacksaw!!

Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 18:46:15

Its too big a lock for a hack saw, he hasn't got a key so can't take it anywhere.

PukingCat Tue 05-Nov-13 18:48:49

Where is the lock?

Do you have a handy andy friend who might be able to take it off for you? Take a photo first in case you need evidence.

You could ask the police?

Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 18:53:50

Its a very large wheel lock, don't think anyone could remove it, unless they have the key to the lock. Its one of those that fits over the tyre.

LaurieFairyCake Tue 05-Nov-13 18:54:47

Someone has put a clamp on your car illegally - I'd call the rozzers.

TippiShagpile Tue 05-Nov-13 18:55:09

Dig out your V5 and call the police on 101

BlatantRedhead Tue 05-Nov-13 19:03:23

I agree, get on to the police. It cannot be legal for someone to put a lock on a vehicle you own outright..

KissesBreakingWave Tue 05-Nov-13 19:09:40

Locksmith callout, or a cheap angle grinder through the padlock.

Isildur Tue 05-Nov-13 19:15:29

That's ridiculous.

Call the police, don't make any mention of your ex (especially as you're not sure who it was), or they might write it off as a 'domestic dispute/civil matter'.

Tell them someone has illegally clamped your car. Is it on your driveway?

Clutterbugsmum Tue 05-Nov-13 19:17:36

Where the car parked.

Is there any documentation to do with the clamp. Bailiff, clamping company or DVLA. If not then ring the police.

SauvignonBlanche Tue 05-Nov-13 19:17:45

I'd call the police.

titchy Tue 05-Nov-13 19:40:34

Are you sure it hasn't been clamped for being parked illegally or tax or mot run out? Police first call in any case.

starfishmummy Tue 05-Nov-13 19:50:46

Could be bailiffs?

Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 20:11:26

Its parked on my drive, tax disc is current until May next year, was MOT just before then.

Feels a waste of police time to contact them when i know its my ex. They should be chasing criminals, not an ex who should be concentrating on his new partner, rather then causing me problems yet again.

Cars really old, was paid for years ago. Doubt its bailiffs, don't no what happens with them, but wouldn't they have contacted me about whatever it was i'm supposed to owe? It looks like a brand new lock.

Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 20:12:06

No documentation at all on the lock.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 05-Nov-13 20:21:15

Borrow An angle grinder. Cut the lock off and sell the wheel lock.

It's what I did when my van was clamped and I made £20 selling the clamp in the pub.

Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 20:23:37

Think i no where to borrow an angle grinder from, but its one of those locks where the key bit is hidden. All u can see is just solid metal.

DontmindifIdo Tue 05-Nov-13 20:26:37

Call the police.

Or can you contact your ex, with a message saying "you have 1 hour to remove the lock you have illegally put on a car that I am the registered owner for, or I call the police. Next time you pull a stunt like this I won't be giving you a warning." if he texts back it's not him, send another one saying "OK, apologies, have called the police, are on their way to sort it."

Or just don't give him the warning, call the police. If this was done by someone else, you'd call the police.

CharlieAlphaKiloEcho Tue 05-Nov-13 20:28:54

101 is completely reasonable in this case honestly.

Your ex is more likely to respond to them by the sounds of it.

DontmindifIdo Tue 05-Nov-13 20:29:01

Oh and as for They should be chasing criminals - if they are chasing a man who is damaging other people's property, they will be chasing a criminal. Just because you previously shagged this bloke doesn't mean he is suddenly allowed to act like this and expect to get away with it. Sharing bodily fluids is not a 'get out of jail free' card.

Joy5 Tue 05-Nov-13 21:02:11

Hes not actually damaged the vehicle, hes just stopped me using it. Seeing as we're in family court in January i just can't see what he hopes to get out of it, apart from stopping me driving anywhere.

When i called the police last year over his physical violence to both me and the family home, it ended up with him convincing our two youngest sons i was the one in the wrong by trying to have him put in jail. They're both in their teens, but somehow he keeps on persuading them i'm the one in the wrong.

Think i'm worrying more about their reaction if i call the police, then anything else.

DontmindifIdo Tue 05-Nov-13 21:29:00

Hmm, I'm sure it's illegal to deny someone use of their own property...

Try sending him the message, see what happens. And I would call 101 for advice. If he didn't put the lock on, who did? If he did, then he's in the wrong. It's a batshit crazy thing to do, how long do you think it'll sit there? Right now, he thinks he's found a way to deny you access to your car, make your life hard, control you even though he's not there. You are playing his game by being controlled until he decides to let you use your own car again.

don't let your DS's reaction stop you, then talk to them, the pattern is that their Dad keeps doing this stuff, not that you are wrong to complain about it.

PukingCat Wed 06-Nov-13 10:08:57

You need to be completely honest with your sons. If he is turning them against you by telling lies then you won't be doing them any favours by keeping your mouth shut.

I would tell then what he's done.

WhoWhatWhereWhen Wed 06-Nov-13 10:16:03

Hope this helps.

Don't call the Police then cut it off, this is an either / or situation as cutting the lock could be criminal damage if the evidence is found...........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now