We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Anyone able to offer some legal advice on a matter of cohabitation with ex-partner?

(5 Posts)
Diamanda Thu 24-Oct-13 19:18:31

Thanks both for your replies!

I really don't want anything from it. Sorry if I wasn't clearer in my OP. The property was inherited by him and his sibling, I have only ever been staying here on a temporary basis. We've been together 12+years but we both had our own places before we moved to current place.

There is no significant amount of contribution that I have invested in the current place so I don't feel entitled to anything iyswim?

I was wondering if there was any legal document I could sign to the effect that if anything happened to ex-p whilst I am still living here, that I would not try to claim in the future (even though I understand I won't legally inherit it anyway). The reason for this is I think that Ex-p sibling is worried that in event of death, that I may be influenced by others to try to claim. I don't know what I can do to to prove to them otherwise and I'd like to set their mind at rest.

Hope that makes sense, sorry if I am rambling! Thanks.

Collaborate Thu 24-Oct-13 10:45:16

There is nothing you can do while he's alive to give up any claim you have under the Inheritance Act that Mumbles refers to.

mumblechum1 Thu 24-Oct-13 09:48:39

Because you're not married and don't have an interest (on paper at least) in the property, you would not automatically inherit on your partner's death anyway.

For you to get anything you'd have to make an application to court under the Inheritance (Provision for Families and Dependents) Act 1975.

Are you sure you don't want to make a claim for a declaration of trust and order for sale in the property? If you've made a significant contribution over the 12 years you would have a shot at such an order.

Diamanda Wed 23-Oct-13 18:43:49

Meant to add that the house we are living in is officially jointly owned between ex-p and sibling as is the land.

Diamanda Wed 23-Oct-13 18:41:41

Currently I'm living with ex-partner of 12+ years until I find a new job and can afford my own place. I pay towards some joint bills, mostly food, but am not paying rent as such. I do plan to offer some money once I have got a job and am on my feet again (although ex-p is not struggling financially). There's no existing legal agreement about our living arrangements.

Is there a legal document that I could sign saying that I understand I am not entitled to stay on in house/or receive any of ex-p money in the event of ex-partner's death? I think this would stop ex-p sibling from worrying that I will expect it if such a situation arose.

(Ex-p knows that I would not challenge his sibling for the property/land/money btw).

Thank you so much if anyone is able to help with an answer or point me the right direction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now