Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Any advice on council tax arrears?

(2 Posts)
therewearethen Wed 23-Oct-13 17:45:03

Long story short, it seems I was overpaid council tax benefit when living under my old local authority (I've since moved to a different council authority)

From what I can gather the council tax benefit overpayment has been added to my council tax bill and would be treated as council tax arrears.

They've written to me and I've had 4 different figures quoted with regards to how much I'm meant to owe. Without being too specific it ranges from £200 to £450.

Can anyone tell me if it is dealt with in the same way as council tax arrears, and so court action etc?

My now ex and I split in Sep so I don't have the means to pay it in full, and would struggle paying more than a few pounds every month.

If I was taken to court or they pass this onto bailiffs, can they seize my car to pay the debt off?

DownstairsMixUp Wed 23-Oct-13 17:49:07

Hello i am not sure if it varies from council to council but i got in some arrears when they cocked up with my last job (grr) and have ended up paying it back as a special arrangement to suit how much i can afford.

So council tax for this year I still pay my usual amount, say 90 a month then i pay a seperate amount to get the arrears paid off, at the moment, i'm paying 20 a month extra. They are happy with that arrangement so long as you stick to it every month and i am sure they will adjust it to suit your income.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now