Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Quick question regarding PR in Scotland/England

(5 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 27-Aug-13 21:11:09

Interesting question - in fact as from November 1st 2012 it has been possible to gain PR when a child moves between member jurisdictions of the 1996 Hague Child Convention. As an example if a child living in Australia (where all fathers automatically have PR regardless) moves to the UK, the father will have PR in the UK

Scotland though is a component part of the UK and so I assume that this does not apply between England and Scotland as per the terms of this Convention

OptimisticPessimist Mon 26-Aug-13 20:42:23

Thank you both, that's good to know smile

Collaborate Mon 26-Aug-13 17:07:18

He won't acquire PR by you moving to England.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 26-Aug-13 16:10:39

Can't say for certain, but I doubt he'll gain pr when you cross the border. He could probably go to court to get it, if he wanted, but that situation is the same now.

OptimisticPessimist Mon 26-Aug-13 16:08:20

Hi, I just wanted to check something about PR.

All my kids were born in Scotland, where the law change about PR and unmarried fathers came in later than in England, meaning my ex has PRRs for my younger two but not my oldest.

We're moving to England soon (he lives in England now himself and has no contact so no issues about the move itself) and I just wanted to check where I will now stand on PR for the oldest child - will XP still have no PR because DC1 was born in Scotland, or once we're in England do the English regulations apply? I know there's probably not many situations it will be relevant but I'd just like to know how the law works in this regard.

Thanks for any help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now