Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Failure to comply with a court directions order

(11 Posts)
slumberjac Tue 17-Sep-13 13:10:48

I am not represented and am due in court tomorrow. He hasn't filed his chronology or a questionnaire which I understand is his missed opportunity. The issue is that he hasn't responded to my questionnaire or provided any of the requested documents, despite the court amending the directions order extending the dates and giving him more time. So that's two orders he hasn't complied with. I have complied with every direction the court has ordered so will see what tomorrow brings!

McKenzie13 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:48:09

Hi slumberjac,

Deadlines often are missed in ancillary relief. In reality there isn't any reprimand for it but negative inferences can be drawn.

In light of your situation (and you don't mention if you're represented or not) I would contact the court and see if they have carried our your ex's request. This could be the other side bluffing. I would absolutely respond to the other side's solicitors and forward a copy of your response (together with their correspondence) to the court so that they are aware of the situation without your consent (and presumably knowledge).

I also presume that those directions applied to you as well so I would ensure that you comply with that order and on time.

tabbyginger Fri 02-Aug-13 23:33:18


iheartdusty Fri 02-Aug-13 23:23:43

they often don't state anything in family cases, tabbyginger; it's different in civil cases.

tabbyginger Fri 02-Aug-13 23:22:44

I had the other party not comply with a direction but a warning was then issued to them to supply form x by such and such a date or they would be barred. They didn't do this so I'm waiting to hear further from the judge.
Did your directions not state what would happen if there was non-compliance ?

iheartdusty Fri 02-Aug-13 23:16:24

His solicitor can't stay the order. Only the court can do that. The solicitor can ask the court to do it, but the court will want to know whether you agree before deciding on it.

He doesn't have to do a questionnaire if he doesn't want to; it's an opportunity to ask for missing information, so if you have provided all the info, that's fine.

The chronology is just there to help the judge, it's not actually a big deal if he doesn't do one, but you can point to it as an example of not doing things properly if you want to take that line.

slumberjac Fri 26-Jul-13 21:50:42


slumberjac Wed 24-Jul-13 22:48:22

It's a family case (schedule 1 children act) that had been referred to a FDR. The directions were to file a chronology and a questionnaire regarding our form E's and his solicited decided to issue a position statement and stay the directions order without my consent or consulting the court.

MissBeehiving Wed 24-Jul-13 22:21:39

Which Directions haven't they complied with?

iheartdusty Wed 24-Jul-13 22:20:09

It depends on the direction, and what kind of case it is (family, civil etc).

Is it a direction to file evidence?

if so, it would probably be enough to write to the court, who will probably send a letter to the other party chasing them up.

If it was a direction to (for example) return an item of property by a certain date, or file something substantial like a Form E, you could write to the court requesting that a penal notice be attached to the directions order.

slumberjac Wed 24-Jul-13 22:15:57

Can anyone please tell me what I should do if a court directions order isn't complied with by the other side.

Many thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now