Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I claim compensation?

(15 Posts)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsFlorrick Tue 16-Jul-13 17:22:46

You can change it. You don't need to reapply for planning but for a variation on your current consent. Look up on planning portal.

Change it don't just live with it and build it. You'll regret it.

Doubt you can claim compensation as it was done to accommodate your roof design.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 17:57:13

Firstly if he's a draftsman not an architect I wonder whether he's even insured against this kind of claim. Not much point if he isn't.

I'm in two minds about this (not the rights and wrongs of it, but the legal side). You've got an extension that isn't what you've asked for - bad. But I'm not sure what loss you can claim - it hasn't ruined your house. The design works - it doesn't need amendment in order to be physically capable of being built (if it did you could claim for the costs that have resulted from his fuck up). You've just got an extension that's 0.5m smaller than you wanted. I suppose if you absolutely cannot live with it you could get a quote for rebuilding and threaten to sue him for that, you might get something.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 18:07:47

I completely understand that. I would get a quote from the builder to undo what's been done so far and rebuild to correct dimensions then waive that under his nose. If you get 25% of it you'd probably be doing well.

Have you tried a search of law firms wh take on professional negligence actions? Even if you don't instruct one they often have pointers about what kind of heads of claim
are recoverable. He's clearly been negligent, no issue there. I just thinking demonstrating loss is going to be tricky.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 18:10:23

Not a recommendation, I don't know this firm from Adam. Just a google search result. Worth a phone call

www.professionalnegligenceclaims.co.uk/surveyorsandarchitects/

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 18:14:51

Ah. Now that is really crap of him - you've got what you've got planning permission for, but it isn't what you wanted. I don't think anyone would expect you to have double checked his measurements - he's supposed to be a professional exercising reasonable care and skill. That's what he's paid for.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 18:17:11

sad

Hardly your fault. Wanker draftsman.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Jul-13 19:57:42

You haven't done anything wrong. Good luck hope you get an encouraging response from the solicitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now