Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Advice on choosing a good divorce solicitor

(6 Posts)
Sunnywithshowers Thu 13-Jun-13 14:06:18

I've had enough of my alcoholic husband's behaviour and want to make sure that I have a good solicitor to protect my interests during a divorce. There are several in my town, how do I know which one is best?

LittleFrieda Thu 13-Jun-13 14:11:48

Can you say which town?

Are there children involved?

LittleFrieda Thu 13-Jun-13 14:13:03

I'm sorry by the way, about your marriage. Being married to an alcoholic can't be any fun.

celestialsquirrels Thu 13-Jun-13 14:15:45

Make sure you choose one that is a member of Resolution. That means they are family law specialists. Most members of Resolution will be very competent. You could make an appointment to see one or two for 30m free advice and decide which you prefer.
Look also at the directories - Legal 500 and Chambers.
Alternatively tell me the town and I will recommend someone if I can.

Sunnywithshowers Thu 13-Jun-13 14:43:53

Thankfully we don't have any children so that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm in Redhill, Surrey.

Collaborate Thu 13-Jun-13 15:55:58

Being a menber of Resolution doesn't necessarily mean they are a specialist, though many are.

There are 3 accredited schemes for family lawyers:

1. Advanced Family Law Panel (run by the Law Society)
2. Children Panel (again, Law Society)
3. Resolution Accredited Specialist scheme

Under 1 and 3 you can be satisfied that your solcitor has satisfied either the Law Society or Resolution (by providing references and case studies (of their own cases and of test scenarios) and sometimes sitting an interview) that they have acheived in at least 2 particular fields of family law a standard of legal and practical competence that the Law society says (on its website) "The expertise of scheme members in a given area of law has been verified and their accomplishment is recognised by the Law Society". Resolution is something similar.

Children Panel members are specialists in child care work, again to an exacting standard.

Check whether your solicitor is a member of any of these schemes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: