Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Letting agreement (to let out a boatshed to a charity)

(7 Posts)
CatherineofMumbles Wed 05-Jun-13 15:33:01

Hi, any ideas where I can find a pro-forma for a short-term letting out a building, but as not a residential or commercial property the renter is a charity?
Obviously I could go to a lawyer, but as it will just be for a peppercorn rent (£100 per year), neither party wants to pay a bucket-load of fees, but want to have it codifed so as to keep it amicable...

Ogg Wed 05-Jun-13 19:10:06

Both parties would be silly not to get a professional agreement drawn up - in my opinion, for the sake of an hours consult it could save a lot of upset incase of fire/damage/fallings out within the charity and general misunderstandings between the parties. <bitter experience >

CatherineofMumbles Wed 05-Jun-13 19:36:45

Ogg, thanks. (Sorry to hear about yours, thanks for warning, me, yes seems sensible)

Ogg Thu 06-Jun-13 08:07:53

No problem mine was a friend who I let stay in a property who decided to put a hole in 300 year old floor boards for washing machine and that a month was basically forever

Elansofar Sat 08-Jun-13 16:37:59

Hi, assuming you will be giving exclusive use of the building and a set of keys to the charity you have to be vary careful not to grant them a type of tenancy protected by the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954. This is a form of business tenancy as a charity is actually classed as a business under the Act and it gives them rights to stay unless you serve notices and give them compensation for turfing them out. The Act is quite complicated to be fair and not for detailing on a forum. You have a few options. You can grant the charity a 364 day tenancy for the building for less than a year so if falls out side the Act or you could share the building and grant them a license of part (as opposed to a lease)or you could grant them a tenancy wherein they have contracted out of certain provisions of the 1954 Act which involves serving notices on them 14 days in advance of agreeing the lease, or affadavits on the day...Docs are available on simply docs dot com, pay for view, however I urge you to take advice from an RICS qualified general practise surveyor or a solicitor. Ask them to quote in advance if you're nervous about fees. It is not unreasonable to ask the incoming tenant/licensee to cover your costs, after all, you are looking to give them a good bargain. Good luck

CatherineofMumbles Sat 08-Jun-13 19:50:01

Thank you! Am now doubly annoyed with DH, who
- told them they could have it and
- then asked to put together a few lines of an agreement shock

Elansofar Sat 08-Jun-13 21:52:37

Don't be too mad at him. It's a bit of a minefield and what can seem so simple can end in tears. It's one thing doing deals between good friends, but with charities key members can come and go so the crux of the original agreement can be lost even over months, hence why a more formal deal is best...especially if the council gets a sniff as they may start charging business rates etc etc happy days!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: