Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Birth certificate

(7 Posts)
AuntyVirus Wed 22-May-13 16:58:59

My stepsons girlfriend gave birth to his son last week , she already has a daughter from a previous relationship who calls ss dad.
Ss has told us today that his girlfriend has no intention of naming ss on child's birth certificate . He has known this for some months but only told us today as he was hoping by time baby was born she would have changed her mind . This however has not happened and she will not tell ss why other than its her decision .
Is there anything he can do or anyone he can see about this.

RedHelenB Wed 22-May-13 19:04:21

I would go to court & get parental responsibility if I were him.

AuntyVirus Wed 22-May-13 20:11:02

Hi thank you for your reply . I will tell ss to look into this . Do you know if he will need to see solicitor who will then contact his girlfriend ? . The reason I ask is they live together so she will find out straight away what his intensions are and make this sad situation even harder .

prh47bridge Wed 22-May-13 21:52:11

He does not need a solicitor to apply for PR. The court will contact his girlfriend if he does. If he applies for PR he will almost certainly get it.

NKffffffffabeee2d7X127640abcce Thu 23-May-13 10:27:36

Hi again Aunty Virus, I have been looking into this on my behalf after our discussion on the other thread.

If both sides agree that the father should have Parental Responsibility, you can download a form from GOV.UK which you get signed at a county court, and register by sending copies to the address on the website. If the mother doesn't agree, you need to get a court order, which costs about £200. There's a form for this too on the website.

I am about to go to my local county court to get an information pack with all the forms needed for a Child Contact Order, this includes information on the costs etc. This might be a useful thing for your stepson too.

Good luck, I hope you get somewhere with this.

AuntyVirus Thu 23-May-13 20:01:32

Thank you very much nk , I will tell ss to go to courts in the morning . Hopefully girlfriend will have a change of heart and we don't have to use them .
Once again thank you for your help and pointing me in the right direction .

AuntyVirus Thu 23-May-13 20:05:42

Sorry posted to soon good luck to you and your ss hope you get some sort of contact soon with your grand child's mother .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: