Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Car accident

(7 Posts)
DeWe Mon 13-May-13 11:37:04

Friend got run into by another car, witnessed by a passing police car who said it was all the other car's fault.
When she contacted her insurance they told her that the police are not allowed to be witnesses for an accident, so if the other car refuses to admit liability they can't prove it. Hence she will lose no claims and have to pay excess.

Is this right? It sounds completely off the wall to me. Surely the police witnessing should be one of the best judges for an accident and whose fault it is? Certainly better than "my best friend saw it" which apparently is good enough.

TWinklyLittleStar Mon 13-May-13 11:39:25

From personal experience I can tell you the insurance company is talking shit!

DeWe Mon 13-May-13 15:11:23

grin that was my immediate reaction Twinkly. I'm going to suggest she asks the policechap who witnessed it for his opinion on that.

Alad Mon 13-May-13 19:49:57

Get the company to put that in writing Tell them you will be asking for them to defend the statement in court.

cumfy Wed 15-May-13 00:13:49

Just hilarious.

But shows how on the make insurance companies are. (Wangle it so both parties lose their no claims).

DeWe Thu 16-May-13 13:13:31

Insurance company has now backed down.
However so far the other car owner has not approached their insurance company so the police witness is now sending a witness statement to the insurance company so they can chase.

cumfy Thu 16-May-13 14:52:08

Why aren't the police just cautioning the driver for careless driving; that would speed things up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now