Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Moving abroad

(13 Posts)
MissKPx Sun 12-May-13 20:54:41

Hi so many different scenarios on here, would really appreciate so advice. I have a 2 and a half year old son and want to move to oz with my partner. My sons dad is not on the birth certificate however does have a DNA test which was done when my son was a couple months old and done through the CSA. (No payments made as he is on benefits) His father still did not want anything to do with him and has always been very hostile towards us. My partner got offered a job in oz and we both work full time here however my sons father now decided he wants to see his son. Will we still be able to move abroad or has this ruined these plans?

NumTumDeDum Sun 12-May-13 22:40:31

Father does not have parental responsibility and so technically you do not need his permission. However, he can apply for parental responsibility and he can apply for a prohibited steps order to delay matters whilst contact is decided. If you consider that he is serious about contact and may take legal advice and apply for either order, then you do need to give consideration to how contact would work and have proposals ready.

You could pre empt matters by simply asking father for his written consent (even though without PR you do not technically need it but it is best to have it in writing - some jurisdictions require proof you have father's permission regardless) and at the same time make proposals for contact. If he is unwilling you can make your own application for a specific issue order for permission to remove your child from the jurisdiction. You would have to be prepared for the possibility that the court may not grant you permission. You would need to be able to give the court a very detailed dossier on your plans, including information on accommodation, income, schooling, childcare, contact etc.

babybarrister Mon 13-May-13 10:30:46

agree with Num [are you prh in disguise?!]

you need also to be aware that if you have to sort this out through the court it takes on average a year

Mannequinkate Mon 13-May-13 10:37:32

If he doesn't have PR does OP legally even need to tell him?

NumTumDeDum Mon 13-May-13 10:43:04

No, but given he is now expressing am interest he is bound to find out and that may make him less reasonable because he will feel she has been deceptive and tried to cut him out. I'm not excusing his behaviour and have my own view on that but op needs to be pragmatic here and take the course of action most likely to give her a positive result.

NumTumDeDum Mon 13-May-13 10:45:15

Babybarrister no not prh!

babybarrister Mon 13-May-13 10:46:54

Numtumdedum - are you one of the usual legal suspects on here grin with a name change or a new family lawyer - hurray!

babybarrister Mon 13-May-13 10:48:21

myself, collaborate [a man!], MOS and mumblechum have outed ourseloves to eachother in RL to prove we are not part of the Jeremy Kyle brigade ...grin. I know prh is also a lawyer and a man! not quite sure who he is though...

NumTumDeDum Mon 13-May-13 11:34:17

I tend to lurk unless I have something to ad to what is already posted.

Collaborate Mon 13-May-13 13:19:36

Welcome, anyway, whoever you are!

babybarrister Mon 13-May-13 19:46:48

she is the real deal - we have PM'd grin

MOSagain Tue 14-May-13 11:52:53

grin No Jeremy Kyle school of Law diploma on wall then?

NumTumDeDum Tue 14-May-13 13:30:48

No, but are they pretty? Maybe I could get one of those as well?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now