Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlord allowed to make an appearance with not even an hours notice...?

(4 Posts)
K8eee Sat 11-May-13 11:20:42

So this morning we get a phone call from our landlord at 8:40. He rang both my dh and I but we had our phones on silent downstairs and missed the calls. He left a voicemail to say, he wanted to pop over this morning to drop some tiles of for the tiler to fit (some are damaged, already spoken of this but no arrangement for him to fit them) anyway we were in a hurry to get out the door to get to work so would phone him on the way or when we got there. Literally as we got in the car pulled away, he turned into the road, and in the distance we noticed he had stopped. We're still unaware as to whether he has been in the house so won't know until we finish from work. Surely this isn't allowed?!?! I need to have a read through the contract to tell for definite, but isn't there a law in Lettings where we have to have at least 24 hrs notice?

burberryqueen Sat 11-May-13 11:22:28

yes 24 hours notice is a minimum and he is absolutely not allowed to let himself in without you there.

MousyMouse Sat 11-May-13 11:22:39

the landlord is not allowed to enter your home without your expressed permission. ideally he should give 24h notice, but that i not always possible.
maybe he left the tiles in the porch?

K8eee Sat 11-May-13 11:33:22

We don't have a porch. The front door goes straight into the lounge. I'm going to send a message to his wife to apologise for the delay in replying, but its fine for him to drop them off. I wouldn't mind but the fact we saw him turn up really got to me. I hate the idea of someone rifling through my stuff. I'm sure he wouldn't though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now