Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Deposit on flat taken by estate agent

(7 Posts)
iloveweetos Wed 08-May-13 14:07:49

In 2009, I ended a tenancy of a flat and was never given my deposit. I found out that it wasn't put into a deposit account, which i was told would happen. This was by the estate agent, rather than the landlord himself. I have taken the estate agent to court where he was told that he would have to pay this back. He didnt turn up, and has made no attempt to pay. I found out after that I wasnt the only tenant that he did this to.

my solicitor friend, who is dealing with this, has said that i can put a charge on any properties he has, and can get some money from that, if and only when he sells. But i'm wondering, is there anything else I can do?

Has anybody had anything like this happen to them, and had it resolved?

(sorry if i have missed anything out)

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 08-May-13 14:17:37

IIRC the bailiffs are your next port of call. You'll need to contact the court about this. Someone should be along soon.

iloveweetos Wed 08-May-13 14:31:58

We had got bailiffs involved, and they couldnt trace him, the shop had been closed and no sign of him at the given address. Is it a case of hassling the bailiffs to do something more?

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 08-May-13 17:11:42

sad Have you tried debt collection agencies?

iloveweetos Thu 09-May-13 10:13:38

I'm going to so research on debt collection companies. Thankyou x

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Thu 09-May-13 12:40:07

Best of luck! Remember that you can add these costs onto the amount her owes (and interest).

Mintyy Thu 09-May-13 12:49:32

What about the police? He has stolen from you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now