Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

correct procedure for inheritance?

(4 Posts)
PorkPieandPickle Sun 05-May-13 18:49:57

I was apparently left some money by my stepmum when she passed away last year. I live in the UK, she lived in Europe.

i have heard nothing from any solicitor regarding this since her death in May 2012. Her sister has been asking me for a few weeks to give her my International Bank Account Numbers (IBAN) and Bank Identification Codes (BIC) in order to progress the matter.

I don't really know much about this sort of thing, but is it normal to have to pass details like this on to a family member rather than a solicitors firm? i'm not saying my stepmums sister is a fraudster, but she's not necessarily someone I trust either.

Would be grateful for any advice, thanks.

PigletJohn Sun 05-May-13 19:42:53

If she is the Executor, she is entitled to manage the estate and pay out the legacies.

There is no obligation to pay a solicitor, and many estates are quite simple. It is quite usual to start confirming addresses and other payment information prior to making the distribution, as some people can be slow to reply.

I don't know the rules in the other European country.

PorkPieandPickle Sun 05-May-13 21:33:43

Ah ok. Straightforward answer! Thanks v much, I will stop being so suspicious!!

firesidechat Mon 06-May-13 22:37:09

Also the info she has requested (IBAN and BIC) can only be used to pay money in, not remove it from your account, so would be perfectly safe to pass on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now