Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Accepting a job a grade below.

(11 Posts)
almost50 Fri 03-May-13 17:41:20

I reached a senior level grade in my job before I resigned to take an extended career break a number of years ago now. I ve been working at the same place but as a casual, hourly paid employee for several years afterwards. Anyway a full time job has come up there and I m thinking of applying. However, this job is going to advertised at a level beneath what I was previously at. Here's the thing:

1. It rubs a bit that if I was successful, they would be paying me less than they did 10 years ago as a full timer

2. But a FT wage is better than what I get now

3. I need to re-enter FT work very soon. I want financial independence

Now it s probably highly unlikely that I will get the job but does anyone know the legalities of public sector organisations choosing to pay you less? I suppose I m wondering that in the unlikely chance I was offered the post, would there be any route to request regrading (for eg., there would be male employees on more salary than me who have less experience). Or, given that this job was advertised at this level, is post appointment negotiation of salary a nkn-starter?

freddiemisagreatshag Fri 03-May-13 17:43:27

You resigned and took an "extended career break". You're now applying for a different job.

On what planet do you think you'd get the higher wage you used to get?

Prawntoast Fri 03-May-13 17:47:38

You can look into whether you are payable equally in relation to male employees on the same grade and level of experience but if you took a career break and are prepared to accept a role that your employers feels is worth £x I'm not sure why you think you can get £x plus. There is no harm in asking for additional money but employers these days tend to pay what the job is worth!

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 03-May-13 17:49:08

They would be paying you less because the job is at a lower grade. I see no prospect of them regrading the job and increasing the salary simply because you worked at that higher grade several years ago.

The thing about men's salaries only becomes an issue if you have grounds for believing that men at the same grade are being paid more for the same work or there has been other unlawful discrimination.

ClaireDeTamble Fri 03-May-13 17:50:09

If the casual work you are doing now is of a salary scale point that is higher than the bottom of the grade of the full time post, but within the scale, you should be paid at the same scale point you are currently on.

If the scale point you are currently on is higher than the top of the scale of the new job, the most you can get paid will be the top of the scale.

If the two are completely unrelated, you can request that they consider paying you mid-scale, but it will be at the discretion of the new manager / hr policies. If they really want you for the post they may consider agreeing to ensure you take the job and not have to repeat a lenghty expensive recruitment process - however, I doubt they would let you go straight in at the top of the scale.

almost50 Fri 03-May-13 21:08:29

Yes, I think the most I can be paid, after these comments, is at the top of the lower grade. Oh well... a bit disheartening as I ve got experience that most applicants won t have (from virtue of working to a higher grade at the same place before). It s not like I m out of touch cause I ve been working their casually. My hourly rate would equate with being 2 points from start of the senior level but I m not going to be put on that as the post wont be at a senior level. Lesson learned: don t take an extended child care break. Ever.

almost50 Fri 03-May-13 21:09:18

there

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Fri 03-May-13 22:46:05

I'm sure you're right. There may be some room for manoeuvre about where they place you on the scale for the job/grade but the reality is that everything is geared to the grading of the job for which they're recruiting, not the job you held in the past.

flowery Sun 05-May-13 10:16:07

"Lesson learned: don t take an extended child care break"

But surely that's nothing to do with it? You applied for a job at a lower grade, that's why your salary will be lower. If you'd applied for a job at a higher grade your salary would be commensurate with that grade.

freddiemisagreatshag Sun 05-May-13 10:17:16

What flowery said. The reason you're being paid less is because the job you are applying for is at a lower grade. You didn't "take an extended career break" that was authorised by them - you resigned.

MOSagain Sun 05-May-13 17:30:47

Sadly OP I've also learnt that lesson.
After an extended career break I've just been offered a job on half what I was on 7 years ago. It is depressing but unfortunately its reality. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now