Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlord obligations on sale of property

(3 Posts)
OccamsRaiser Mon 29-Apr-13 00:48:35

Hoping that someone may have some advice on selling a property with tenants...

I have a property in the UK which I rented to tenants last year when I moved to Australia with my family. I've now had an (unsolicited) offer from somebody who would like to buy the property - which is an unexpected bonus for us, as it is a good price and we are not dedicated to keeping the place. But I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing by my tenants (as it's obviously their home now!)

The tenancy agreement runs until October 2013. The potential purchaser has indicated that while they will eventually need vacant possession, they would not mind if the tenants were in there for a while when they purchase it.

Is it possible to sell the property with the tenancy in place? Or would I have to serve notice to my tenants in August and wait until October to sell the property? Any advice gratefully received.

Collaborate Mon 29-Apr-13 06:57:35

Short answer is yes. Sell subject to tenancy.

OccamsRaiser Mon 29-Apr-13 13:15:32

Thanks very much, shall discuss with the prospective purchaser, tenants and look to find a solution that will work for all. Appreciate your reply!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: