Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

House valuation for divorce

(8 Posts)
leftfootrightfoot Thu 25-Apr-13 15:46:32

H has moved out and is generally kicking off about stuff whilst setting up a new home with the OW. He has decided we need to sort out this house and has said he will get a valuation. Do I need to get one as well, I am assuming he is going to try and get a higher one so he can argue for more of the equity? I have a solicitor but am now supporting 2 DCs on very little money so if anyone can give me some advice for free that would great, thanks

itwillgetbettersoon Thu 25-Apr-13 16:23:20

You should get one too - I wouldn't trust your ex and what he says to the agent. Take care because an estate agent will value at the price he thinks he can sell at - not what it is valued at. In reality I would get a few valuations and take an average or something.

Collaborate Thu 25-Apr-13 18:24:22

You should jointly agree in who to instruct, then jointly instruct them and share the cost. Barmy to do anything else these days.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 25-Apr-13 18:34:17

A surveyor will give you a valuation for the 'book price' what they would tell and bank it was worth for mortgage purposes. This probably the fairest value.

Collaborate Thu 25-Apr-13 19:57:19

Not at all. A surveyor will tell you on a matrimonial valuation how much you should expect to be able to sell it for.

leftfootrightfoot Fri 26-Apr-13 11:46:20

Thanks, so the fact he is just going ahead and doing it means I need to get to my solicitor and get him to contact the H?

Collaborate Fri 26-Apr-13 12:42:10

Would save money in the long run for you both is it's a joint valuation.

Anifrangapani Wed 01-May-13 22:23:34

A surveyor will value according to the valuation they are asked to do. If you ask for a sale valuation they will give you their judgement based on comarable properties. Their figures are backed by professional indemnity insurance so if they get it wrong you can sue.
An estate agent is not a suveyor and therefore will pluck a figure out of the air - note how many ask how much you hope to achieve or where you are thinking of moving to next..... that is so they can judge how much you wil sell for. They then give an asking price figure of a little above. This is a process called buying the ihstruction. It has very little to do with the franking value.

Get a proper valuation - jointly instructed so you have access to the valuation certificate. There is no need to get 2 as there is an approved process that surveyors go through so the figures will be very close and in some areas it is the same person who will do both.

I say this not as a surveyor but as an ex EA.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: