Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Can I move even though my ex has a defined court order

(5 Posts)
Vicki10 Tue 23-Apr-13 15:53:24

I need some advice, my partner took me to court 2 years ago and ended up with a defined court order and i got residency, he sees the two boys regularly but since splitting up with him he has caused my life nothing but grief, I've had my car smashed up twice, been burgled twice, he phoned social services on me, tells the kids to run away to his house and tells them to speak to me like shit.
I'm at the end of my thether with it, I have a new partner and a baby girl and I want to move to Cardiff where my current partner is from, one for more support from his parents and for a more happy and stable life for all 3 of my kids,
I currently live in Manchester and its a 3 and a half hour drive, so I would offer him the school holidays but I know he will kick off, this isn't about the kids it's about him keeping control of my life. So I'm not sure what to do???
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks Vicki

kittycat68 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:59:34

you cant just up and move without telling ex. you have to give him reasonable notice of the intended move and re negoitate the contact arragements. He cant stop you form moving but he can apply to the court for a prohibited steps order if he wants to. where the court would determine all the reasons for the move etc, you can NOT be seen to be moving to remove the children from contact with your ex but must be in the yours and the childrens best interests to move, ie : closer to your family, better schools for the children i dont think they will consider better support for new partners family as a good reason op. If he sees the boys regularly you would probably have to offer more contact and the travel to ex etc. but it is do able! is your ex likely to apply to court to stop you going if so unless you offer these things a court would probably not agree to you going.

HeySoulSister Wed 24-Apr-13 09:13:11

What's his current contact arrangement?

niceguy2 Wed 24-Apr-13 14:01:37

How old are the boys?

familylawyerlouise Wed 24-Apr-13 15:37:18

If he has a defined contact order and you wouldn't be able to stick to it after you move then you will need to apply back to the court to vary the order.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now