Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Is there anybody out there with experience of claiming an unclaimed estate? What to expect?

(5 Posts)
duchesse Thu 11-Apr-13 16:14:58

I've just written to the Bono Vacantia department with a small family tree scrawled into the letter. My sister and I spotted our estranged grandfather's name in the bono vacantia list about 3 years ago. The surname is extremely unusual and the place of death matched what we knew but the DOB seemed wrong by two years so we didn't pursue it then. Our GF died just over 12 years ago (possibly as long as 14, not quite sure).

I decided to write to the treasury solicitor's department anyway just in case we had our facts wrong and it was the same person as our grandfather. Alas, his name is no longer on the list online- does that mean that his estate has been claimed by someone else?

It's a bit complicated as at the time my father was born, my gm was married to someone else and although the my father's paternity is obvious when you see photos of them, my father was technically someone else's child for the first 8 years of his life until his true parents married and he was formally recognised. My GM's first husband wouldn't divorce her so they had to wait, even though my GM and GF were living (very unhappily even by then!) together. Fast forward a few years and my GF predictably pushes off with a "fancy woman" with whom he stayed for the rest of his life but whom he never afaik married. My father is also afaik his father's only child.

My question is, does this sound as though it's in any way likely to succeed even if the person in question does turn out to be my GF? Is my father's illegitimacy at birth likely to be a problem? Many thanks in advance for any advice/info!

RedHelenB Thu 11-Apr-13 19:45:18

Who is the father stated on the birth certificate? After so many years if someone dies intestate in England, their estate reverts to the treasury

firesidechat Thu 11-Apr-13 20:02:16

I think it passes to the state after 12 years, so time frames might be tight.

You would have to prove the relationship. As RedHelenB said, who is on the birth certificate as the father?

greenfolder Thu 11-Apr-13 20:17:05

My dad claimed my estranged gfathers estate via bv process, was really simple; drew family tree and that was it really.

Might have watched too much heirhunters but you would have to prove relationship thru paperwork. Was he acknowledged as son either through b cert or by adoption

sarahtigh Sun 14-Apr-13 18:20:58

30 years in england have to be a direct descendant of deceased grandfather ( great grandfather in scotland) there has to be a paperwork trail

your fathers illegitimacy is not the problem it is probably proof that GF was your father's father either with name on birth certificate adoption papers etc or legitimised later

I have no idea what happens if they( the state) have given estate to a more distant relative when a closer one exists

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: