Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Employer leaving childcare voucher scheme

(5 Posts)
MrsCobes44 Wed 10-Apr-13 09:38:50

Hi

Does anyone know how much notice your employer needs to give you when they leave the childcare voucher scheme? I am pregnant with DC2 and my employer has discovered (after my investigations) that they have to continue paying my childcare vouchers whilst I am on maternity leave as I only receive statuatory maternity pay. My employer wants to avoid this and is therefore planning on leaving the childcare scheme! I believe that they have to give me 3 months notice- does any one know if that is correct and whether it should be 3 full months notice. My maternity leave starts on 24th May.

Many thanks

cogitosum Wed 10-Apr-13 13:21:10

there's no set period of notice that they have to give. In theory they could just stop ordering one month and tell you then. However if they have said that it's directly because of you being on maternity leave you could have grounds for a discrimination case... it hasn't been tested though. Are there others at your company getting the vouchers or are you the only one?

MrsCobes44 Wed 10-Apr-13 13:57:38

Thanks cogitosum for the response.

There is only one other employee in the scheme (it is a small company) but he is currently on long term sick leave.

cogitosum Wed 10-Apr-13 14:50:01

So presumably he is not getting the vouchers at the moment (they can be stopped when you're on sick leave as sex discrimination act does not apply). Hmm I guess they coudl stop with no notice, but if they let anyone else join or let him start getting them again when he's back there would be a serious case for sex discriminatoin. As it is i think they're on shakey ground but could probably get away with saying they are stopping the scheme completely so it's unrelated to you going on maternity leave.

If I were advising them I would not recomemnd that they do this though

MrsCobes44 Wed 10-Apr-13 15:06:40

Yes, I've just spoken with the childcare voucher company and they confirmed that my employer doesn't actually have to give me any notice to stop the scheme but they do have to give the childcare voucher company 3 months notice to end their contract. So it's not looking good unfortunately grin(

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now