Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Theft by friend -what can we do?

(8 Posts)
SweetestThing Mon 08-Apr-13 18:17:02

Hoping for some helpful advice, please!

Daughter has new iPod nano and asks friend (mainly of son, but daughter also knows her fairly well) to put some music on it. Friend takes nano and has not returned it, despite many phone calls, texts and face-to-face requests. She now hangs up if son or daughter phone her and has deleted her Facebook account so no contact can be made through that. She has arranged to hand over the nano (does not dispute that she has it or that it isn't hers) but either doesn't bring it, doesn't turn up or makes some spurious excuse, the latest one being that her sister reckons it belongs to her.

Son and daughter have kept all texts exchanged with this girl. I feel we now need to show that we are serious about getting this back. Under the Theft Act definition, this seems to me to be a case of theft, taking the property of someone else and intending permanently to deprive the owner of it. Should we send a letter to her, setting this out and threatening legal action? Is there a simpler way to do it? What legal action could we take?

Her father is a police officer, which adds a certain tinge of irony to the situation! My son sees her most days as they are both working on the same holiday scheme while he is home from uni for Easter.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:56

You could try talking to the girl's parents before you do anything else. wink

ihearsounds Mon 08-Apr-13 18:20:55

Go round to the house, and make it known you want the item back. End of. No more calls and texts. Face to face.

Coconutty Mon 08-Apr-13 18:21:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 08-Apr-13 18:21:47

I would go to her home and speak to her parents. Show them the texts and say you want it right now or you are going to take the texts to the police and report her for theft.

Lavenderhoney Mon 08-Apr-13 18:25:54

I would call the parents and explain that you want it back and it's unfortunate you have had to call but your dc have asked and asked and now they are all not talking - but the item still has to be returned. Please can you collect it tonight or tomorrow. Or it must be popped unharmed through the letterbox by 9pm tomorrow.

Give the parents a chance to sort it out, just as you would like a chance to sort it out if it were your dc.

SweetestThing Mon 08-Apr-13 18:25:55

Thank you for such swift replies! I think the direct approach is best. I'll let you know the outcome. Thank you.

cumfy Tue 09-Apr-13 14:12:34

Talk to the police officer.

If need be contact him via local police number and leave a message for PC X.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now