Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Child maintenance if NRP isn't in the UK

(9 Posts)
TotemPole Mon 08-Apr-13 08:00:52

Please could anyone advise, or point me in the direction of where to get info or where to start with this.

The CSA doesn't deal with this particular country but there is a reciprocal agreement for child support orders made through the courts. At present there isn't an order in place.

There was originally a CSA agreement when they lived in the UK. This was some years ago, I'd need to go through records to get the details to find out what was agreed and how much they paid.

Would debt from the original CSA agreement be included or would liability start from date of application?

Do I apply to a court in the UK or the other country? How much would it cost to apply?

I've read that I don't need a solicitor and can just apply to the court. Is this correct? If I do need a solicitor, about how much would it cost?

How long would the process take, assuming the NRP is easy to find but would probably not start paying voluntarily.

Thanks. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

babybarrister Mon 08-Apr-13 21:23:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotemPole Tue 09-Apr-13 22:46:46

Hi, thanks for replying. It's helped make it clearer.

I'm in the UK, they are outside of the EU.

babybarrister Wed 10-Apr-13 11:47:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TotemPole Wed 10-Apr-13 15:27:55

Hi again and thanks for your help.

It's on list of REMO reciprocating countries here.

I don't think they have any assets here. AFAIK, they were renting all the time.

They are in a salaried position so wouldn't be able to hide income.

TotemPole Wed 10-Apr-13 16:24:19

babybarrister, please could I PM you with the details. I'm a bit paranoid about putting too much on here.

babybarrister Thu 11-Apr-13 20:59:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ItsRainingOutside Fri 12-Apr-13 00:03:26

The easiest thing is to go to your local magistrates court and ask to speak to someone who deals with REMO court orders. They will do everything for you. You will have to supply financial information to the overseas court so they can work out the maintenance amount and it does take a long time - expect up to a year. It will be backdated from the time of the application. It worked for me and my exP now has money taken from his salary before he even sees it.

wispa31 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:43:11

i work in CSA unfortunately
wrt to nrp not in uk, if he is working for a uk based company abroad we would still have jurisdiction and he would still be liable for maintenance. if he is not working for uk company then we dont have jurisdiction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now