Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Been accused of damaging a neighbours car :(

(8 Posts)
crookmum Sun 31-Mar-13 15:28:46

My husband came home from work one evening and had trouble parking his car. He had to park quite close to a car behind him to ensure he wasn't blocking anyones driveway.

24 hours later I receive a message from the neighbour saying we have put a massive dent in his car. Fast forward another 24 hours and I have received another message saying they have had a quote for the repairs and it will be £300 and we need to pay it as he isn't willing too.

I have so far ignored the messages, but feel I now need to reply. Not sure what to say though as they are quite argumentative, and my husband did not hit their car.. help..!

LaurieFairyCake Sun 31-Mar-13 15:31:43

Note through door - "so sorry to hear about your car, unfortunately we didn't knock into it, hope you get it sorted".

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 31-Mar-13 15:38:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 31-Mar-13 15:40:38

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 31-Mar-13 15:43:12

Have you checked your husband's car to make sure there is no damage? Take a picture of the car now. Date stamped. So that they can't make a dent or anything at a later date. Also photograph their car.

I would then send a note back saying that your husband hasn't hit their car and you have date stamped photos showing there is no damage to your car.

Out of interest, why do they think it's your husband? did anyone claim to see anything, or is it just that he's parked close to their car?

Anyway, I would be very clear that no matter what, you would not be giving them cash. If they want to take it up with your insurance company, then of course you can't stop them from doing so, but you will be telling them that you didn't hit their car.

HeySoulSister Sun 31-Mar-13 15:48:38

You should leave it to your husband to deal with! What does HE say?

crookmum Sun 31-Mar-13 22:22:04

Thanks for the advice.
My husband is adamant he didn't hit the car he was just parked close to it. He would be happy to deal with it, it's just that the person is messaging my Facebook.
We checked our car earlier there's no damage so have taken pics. The other car hasnt been around since so I haven't seen it.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 31-Mar-13 23:02:57

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now