Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlord wants to cut out the rental agency

(29 Posts)
JellyBellies Mon 04-Mar-13 22:10:59

Hi, We rented a property last July and we found it through a rental agency. We signed a contract with them, paid a deposit etc.

Now the landlord wants us to start paying the rent directly to him. He says the rental agency has been bought over by another company and he no longer wants to deal with them.

Our tenancy agreement has the landlord's name on it but it is followed by 'C/o agency name'

And our deposit is in a deposit scheme put in by the agency.

My question is what do we need to do to make it so that we have all legal agreements with landlord? Do we need a new tenancy agreement? Or will it be enough to have a letter signed by the landlord saying that he is taking over the running of the property and we are to pay rent directly to him?

Also, how do we get our deposit back? I am going to ring the deposit scheme and the agency tomorrow. However if you have any experience is this area please could you share?


Mintyy Tue 05-Mar-13 14:01:08

The agency will charge him a renewal fee at the anniversary of your contract (yes, even though you are the same tenants) and it sounds like he is trying to avoid paying that. They may also, depending on their contract, be charging him a percentage of the monthly rent for management - and he may now want to manage the letting himself and not pay that charge also. I would hold tight and do nothing, basically! He won't be able to evict you and if he did start the eviction process then his intentions to cut the agency out would become all too obvious.

MoreBeta Tue 05-Mar-13 14:05:13

I rent happily and directly from a landlord but the rental agreement originally came via an agent.

We do have a contract with his name on it though.

It sounds like your LL wants to pretend that he is living in the house so when he comes to sell it he can claim dispensation from paying capital gains tax to HMRC. Unlike a person who lives in their own home and does not pay capital gains tax when they sell a landlord normally would pay capital gains tax when selling a rental property as it was not their residence.

However, a council tax bill with his name on would be very helpful in proving he lived in the property.

JellyBellies Tue 05-Mar-13 15:02:17

I rang the council and checked. He is definitely not listed at the property.

TheChaoGoesMu Tue 05-Mar-13 15:09:26

He probably wouldn't need landlords insurance if he was alledgedly living there. But it could be as Morebeta says too re capital gains tax.

If you have a new contract and deposit in a new scheme there shouldn't be any issues. I wouldn't want his name on CT as I think you would have less rights if you were alledgedly renting rooms in his home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now