Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Landlord wanting to end tenancy agreement

(5 Posts)
cumfy Fri 01-Mar-13 22:23:22

You could always talk to them; it's possible they may want to break the contract early as well.

ilovedaddypig Thu 28-Feb-13 21:27:10

Thanks for the advice. I think we will probably wait til the end of the 12 months. I was panicking about our finances, but it seems somehow wrong to try and get them out anyway - if the legal route takes that long (and presumably costs as well) I guess we will sit tight.

Boomboomboomboom Thu 28-Feb-13 20:42:30

You could serve a section 8 notice relying on ground 1 - namely that it was your former home and you require possession to re-occupy it, but in order to gain possession, that section 8 notice has to give two months notice, then you'd have to issue possession proceedings, which would give a further 28 days (at least) notice before the matter being listed for a hearing - then, if the court accepted your case they would have anything from 14 days to 42 days to vacate,failing which you'd instruct a bailiff which would take another 2-4 weeks! Landlordzone is good for advice

Off course if you serve the notice they may decide to go anyway, but the point is you cannot get them out without an order of the court,that takes a long time, and depending how far into the 12 months AST you are, it might be worth just serving the section 21 notice and waiting until the 12 months are up.

MousyMouse Thu 28-Feb-13 17:33:04

read the contract again, usually a 12 month contract includes a break clause after 6 months.
to give notice you have to follow certain steps (section 21 notice of possession) or you will be in trouble in case the tennants don't want to leave.
have a look at landlordzone.

ilovedaddypig Thu 28-Feb-13 15:56:01

I kept my old house as a buy-to-let when we moved to a new home. It's currently let out on a 12-month contract. Can I legally end it early? It looks like DH is about to lose his job and we're stretched thinner than thin at the moment. From my limited reading (and I have no legal background!) I wonder if there are special circumstances because it used to be my main residence, but don't know if I'm reading this wrong.
Thanks for any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now