Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

How do I find a good divorce lawyer

(9 Posts)
Moanranger Fri 22-Feb-13 17:40:45

golddigger & speedyone Thanks for responding. I went to Teresa first & as she came across as knowledgeable & competent, I went with her. Nice to have a vote of confidence. Mostly this will be straightforward, but it is the business that will be difficult. While I am v competent, etc professionally, it is a different matter dealing with anSTBXH. I have great sympathy with Vicky Pryce ( Chris Huhne's ex) Hs can be v bullying. He keeps contacting me with various settlement proposals, which I find annoying.

speedyone Fri 22-Feb-13 12:39:00

It's hard enough having to deal with the trauma of divorce without enduring the legal process but there's no escape there. The answer is to work with a lawyer with an empathetic understanding combined with terrific legal skills and Teresa Cullen most certainly gets my vote and recommendation.

goldigger Fri 22-Feb-13 12:00:31

Teresa Cullen of Ashfords is a brilliant family lawyer, and guides her clients through this difficult and complex legal landscape that can often be very hard to understand. I would definitely recommend her and would use her every time if I had a problem that needed resolving in the future. She listens and understands her client's needs, much more than other family lawyers that i have met in the past.

Moanranger Fri 22-Feb-13 10:21:00

Thanks for advice. I went to Teresa Cullen in the end.
My STBXH would have loved the DIY route, but we have a business together & splitting that is complicatedc& requires legal input.
Also, since I posted my STBXH has already tried to nobble me by getting me to agree an under-valued price for a jointly-shared property. How stupid does he think I am? I need a lawyer fighting my corner.

baffledmum Mon 18-Feb-13 21:17:45

I work in the legal world. Look at The Legal 500 UK and also Chambers UK 2013 online for information.

purpleapples14 Mon 18-Feb-13 17:56:01

Are you still in need of someone? I recommend you only pay for a direct access barrister bc this will cut ur costs dramatically and do your own paperwork using this organisation called London Legal Associates and a wonderful woman called Mary Islam. She encourages self representation and can help with all the paperwork&direct access barrister. Her number is 02089802472. Let us know how you get on. All the best.

SarahHillWheeler Sun 17-Feb-13 20:58:07

Hi, not my field of law, but I would definitely try and get a personal recommendation and gow ith how comfortable you are with her/his approach. I can also recommend taking a look at Marilyn Stowe's blog and kindle book (only 99p) lots of sound advice from a real expert in her field. BW, Sarah

babybarrister Sun 17-Feb-13 20:47:20

Starting point is to
Look on resolution website as has full listing of specialist family lawyers - consider costs v carefully as they will all come out of joint pot and there are rarely costs orders now.
I would recommend Fiona Wilson from Blake Lapthorn and Teresa Cullen from Ashfords.

Moanranger Sun 17-Feb-13 20:13:47

As title. I am in London. 25 year marriage. Issue is assets, and I have a business so do not want to get fleeced by STBXH.
All advice welcome, ESP PMs from anyone who used a lawyer they would recommend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now