Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Parental Repsonsibility

(5 Posts)
starbright86 Wed 13-Feb-13 16:31:40


I am looking to give my husband pr over my eldest daughter. Does anyone know if i need a solicitor to do this or if i can do it myself and the costs involved?

I have sole pr for my daughter, she was born in 2004 so although her biological father is on her birth certificate the law didn't come into Scotland until 2006 where unmarried fathers get pr if on the birth certificate.

Thanks in advance

floatyjosmum Sat 16-Feb-13 22:32:44

You need to get a step parent pr agreement - there's a form to complete which you sign at court and is free

Melissa2013 Mon 18-Feb-13 15:23:15

Hi starbright86,

Your husband can acquire Parental Responsibility for your daughter either by way of a formal agreement between yourselves or by way of a Court order. With the information you have provided to me it appears high unnecessary/unlikely that you will need a Court Order. Therefore, for a formal agreement each person with Parental Responsibility has to sign the agreement. This is often the natural parents and any other individuals who have acquired Parental Responsibility since the birth of the child.

If the Agreement is made by consent this can be drawn up by solicitors who would explain the implications of the Agreement and forward the completed Agreement into Court to be sealed. The costs of drafting the Agreement varies with each firm. Of Course this can be completed yourself.

There is no fee currently to filing the form PRA2 (step parent parental responsibility agreement ).

floatyjosmum Tue 19-Feb-13 08:01:16

Please don't pay anyone to do this .,..

The form can be downloaded from the court website or you can pick them up in person. You fill in three copies but don't sign them. You then go to the court and sign them in front of the clerk (take I'd with you)

Once signed you send them off for them to be filed and its at this point they become legal

starbright86 Tue 19-Feb-13 15:11:31

thank you for your replies, seems it will be easier than I thought.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: