Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Possible incorrect use of money held on client account - don't know what to do.

(5 Posts)
LivingThings Tue 12-Feb-13 19:44:25

Hi, was wondering if anybody knew how I can get a solicitor to disclose what she has spent my money on as she is currently refusing to tell me.

To keep things as brief as i possibly can:

I sold a leasehold property more than five years ago. Due to the landlord planning major works a sum of money was left held by the buyers solicitor (A) to be used specifically for these works over the following five years.

Fast forward 5 years and retention period has come to an end and A sends their final account to my solicitor (B). I am happy to accept one of the bills is for the works concerned however another is £900 with no breakdown of what it was used for (second itemised sheet wasn't supplied). There was also another sum of money for a quote which wasn't even received until August when the retention period ended in June. These two items I am disputing. My solicitor wrote letters requesting detail of bill from a and querying other but has not received a satisfactory response in over seven months. I approached A myself for detail to be told she had 'no time' to go over matters again as it was agreed with B at the time. However B has no details that he could give me.

Any advice on where I go from here? All I want is a detailed account of what my money was spent on which I would have thought I was entitled too? Plus return of the money they are holding for works outside the retention period.

Thanks for bearing with me if you've got this far - any advice would be gratefully received as I have no idea what to do next.

TheSilveryPussycat Wed 13-Feb-13 01:10:58

Try the Law Society?

Xenia Wed 13-Feb-13 17:44:00

So B says it was not agreed? Then that needs to be put back to A preferably by you so you are not paying B to argue this.
Is there some lease or other document which sets out what can be charged and what cannot be from any retention?
Write by special delivery and set it all out and say unless you have an itemised bill within 7 days and given B has said there was no such agreement as to amount and they have not produced any evidence of the agreement, you will have no alternative but to sue for the return of the sum. Probably the lease says you do have to pay some of their solicitor costs but you are entitled to know how they are made up.

LivingThings Wed 13-Feb-13 21:00:33

Thank Xenia, it is the itemised bill I want to see as I know what was covered by the retention. Will write another letter.

Cheeryble Sun 17-Feb-13 10:45:20

You should also tell them that if they don't reply satisfactorily you will make a formal complaint to the Solicitors' Regulation Authority.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: