Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

what type of solicitor?

(12 Posts)
MrsJREwing Wed 06-Feb-13 16:57:40

DC are 13 and 14. They can instruct a legal team. They and I want to take their school to task over disability discrimination, and failing the childres medical needs, not making reasonable adjustments, not doing IEP properly.

What type of solicitor do you use?

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 06-Feb-13 17:04:12

A specialist I would think. Will have a ponder.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 06-Feb-13 17:07:59

Some one like [[ this]]

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 06-Feb-13 17:09:02

Sorry for link fail. On phone

MrsJREwing Wed 06-Feb-13 19:34:51

Thank you. Not sure if thst's what I need. Not appealing a statement.

My kids IEP's not done properly, caused them pain and potential life long issues as no adjustments. A teacher damaged my child in PE after I told school no PE. School discriminated against my disability, they got it wrong thought I had MH issues, I have physiological issues. Discriminated against kids by perceived perception of me by association.

NormaStanleyFletcher Wed 06-Feb-13 19:49:06

Fuck. That sounds bad/hard. Sounds like you might need a disability rights/discrimination legal bod? Maybe with a bit of something else?

Tubegirl Wed 06-Feb-13 19:52:54

You can contact the law society who will be able to help you fibd a relevant expert. This is a specialist area, make sure whoever you instruct does a lot of this type of work. Just tap 'Law society find a solicitor' into google. If you can't find what you need on the website there is a number on there to call. Good luck.

MrsJREwing Wed 06-Feb-13 20:20:57

I didn't know what type of solicitor from the pulldown list at law society so posted here. Loads more to it. Even after I pointed out to HT he had to follow law and told him law, he contacted a solicitor. Then it was in x amount of years never had such a request, on this occasion... I said would you speak like that to someone with a hearing aid?

I need to record the meeting due to my disability, he then put no restrictions on his recording and put restrictions on my recording.

Chair of Governors can't see what my problem is.

Tubegirl Wed 06-Feb-13 20:44:45

Try emailing to see what they suggest.

AmandaCooper Fri 08-Feb-13 07:50:08

The Law Society won't actually make a recommendation, they do keep a list of solicitors and what areas of law they practice but that's all. A direct access barrister might be the answer, you could try googling some chambers and scanning through the expertise of their tenants. If you find anyone who seems to have had the sort of experience you are looking for, give their clerk a call to see if they might be able to help. If they don't do direct access, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Tubegirl Fri 08-Feb-13 13:05:22

Just to clarify; I am aware that the Law Society won't make a recommendation - my suggestion was to discuss what type of solicitor she needed so that she could complete a post code search using their Find a solicitor tool.

midoriway Fri 08-Feb-13 13:12:57

This kind of complex Education/children's law/disability discrimination sounds exactly like the kind of thing Anthony Collins firm in Birmingham does. I have heard nothing but good things about them from a few different people, and they have a legal aid contract as well if this is applicable. Give them a call and stop trying to do this by yourself.

I promise I am not connected to them in any way, I just live in Birmingham and have a bit of dealings with the various firms here.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: