Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

URGENT HELP NEEDED - Power of Attorney

(11 Posts)
mumblechum1 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:52:33

smile tubegirl

Tubegirl Wed 06-Feb-13 20:38:41

Mumblechum1 you are quite right- just goes to show a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! I had in mind enduring powers of attorney, which were replaced by the LPAs. I am happy to stand corrected!

mumblechum1 Wed 06-Feb-13 19:56:23

Sorry Tubegirl but that advice is incorrect for these particular circumstances.

Tubegirl Wed 06-Feb-13 19:47:00

It's actually now a Lasting Power of Attorney. The forms are simple but you should obtain legal advice independently of one another. This needn't cost a lot, phone around.

secretscwirrels Tue 05-Feb-13 13:47:14

You can do it via a solicitor or you can do it yourself. I set one up for my mother. She's perfectly fit and well but should anything happen it's ready to use.
Look at this website

mumblechum1 Tue 05-Feb-13 12:34:38

Yes, they can do a General Power of Attorney. This is usually used for temporary purposes, eg if the Donor is out of the country and needs a family member to sign conveyancing document etc on their behalf.

AgentProvocateur Tue 05-Feb-13 11:43:37

Can you contact the English equivalent of The Office of the Public Guardian.

Rangirl Tue 05-Feb-13 11:29:08

Sorry message should have read "solicitor in your jurisdiction"

AgentProvocateur Tue 05-Feb-13 11:14:51

I was just going to say that in Scotland it can. Not much help if you're not in Scotland!

Rangirl Tue 05-Feb-13 11:04:36

Certainly in Scotland a POA could be done in these circs and later revoked

Advice needs to be taken from a solicitor

GettingDesperate2013 Tue 05-Feb-13 09:07:37

Also posted in chat - hoping for some advice....
Trying to keep this simple as really need some advice. A family member has asked if another family member will take on power of attorney for them specifically with regards with settling their business affairs due to them suffering from depression and feeling unable to handle the situation. There is no mental incapacity etc, this is choice. Can this be done, and more importantly can it be then withdrawn at a later date when said family member feels better and have others had any experience?
we recognise this a big step and it certainly isn't being considered without due consideration.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now