Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Being pursued for money that isn't owed by me!

(5 Posts)
abbierhodes Tue 29-Jan-13 21:21:49

I have posted this on the MSE site, but forums are a little slower so I'm really hoping there's a MNer who can advise me!

Apologies, this is long, but I didn't want to miss details out.

Around 10 years ago, my then partner took out an account with an internet provider. He did everything in his name, except when he got to the debit card bit, he used my card. i didn't object too strongly at the time, as it was all 'our money' iyswim.

A couple of years later, we split. he switched to a different service provider, and this account was dormant, but still being paid by me.

When I realised I was still paying for it, I rang up the company and asked to cancel it. They refused to discuss the account with me as it was not in my name.

I rang my ex and asked him for the paperwork. he said he'd lost it.

I rang my bank and they were absolutely useless. I was told on several occasions that as it was a card payment, not a direct debit, it could not be cancelled without the company's permission.

I rang the company back- they wouldn't talk to me.

This cycle continued for years.

A few months ago, I finally got someone at my bank to admit the payment could be stopped. After much faffing about, the payments were stopped.

I now have a letter from a debt collection company (on behalf of this company) telling em I owe them money!

I have not had any contact from the company themselves.

I am fuming! They have had £30 per month from me for over 8 years, for absolutely nothing!!

What ON EARTH do I do??
Can anyone advise?
Thank you if you read all that!

abbierhodes Tue 29-Jan-13 21:30:57

Bumping this for active convos! Sorry, i know it's dull!

Sam100 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:36:34

I am no legal specialist but from my very basic understanding of contract law either they have a contract with YOU in which case you should have been able to cancel it years ago when you first asked. Or they have a contract with your Ex partner in which case he is liable to pay any charges and arrange any cancellation. Either way I do not think they should now be pursuing you. I would try contacting consumer advice line or similar and ask them.

Hattifattner Tue 29-Jan-13 21:36:44

contact OFCOM.

Collaborate Tue 29-Jan-13 22:44:29

Contact the banking ombudsman too. Look on the bbc website. There was something on this a week or 2 ago (banks wrongly claiming you couldn't stop these payments).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: