Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any legal concerns we suggest you consult a solicitor.

Separation/bail conditions/contact

(11 Posts)
bexsybooboo Tue 29-Jan-13 19:08:18

My h is currently on bail for assaulting me and part of the bail conditions is he has no direct contact with me including no messages to be passed through family/friends.
The court case is not for another 2 weeks but am desperate to sort out housing arrangements and access or at least start things moving.
Was passed a number for trainee solicitors who do not charge for their services but sadly they are at full capacity. I am not entitled to legal aid as am £40 over the threshold but cannot afford to pay solicitor fees as my income is paying all bills/rent and looking after my children.
I want a simple letter done and posted so I can have answers and know what I need to do for my children but cannot send it myself as no direct contact allowed.
Does anyone know charges for a letter to be sent by a solicitor ?? I am desperate and want to get things moving forward during a difficult time for our children and for me.

Collaborate Tue 29-Jan-13 19:13:53

It doesn't work like that. Solicitors aren't a stationery service.

bexsybooboo Tue 29-Jan-13 19:31:53

Seriously was there any need !!
My children and me have been through hell I was asking a question as am desperate and have limited funds.
You simply didn't have to reply or just state solicitors can not be used like that. I don't know how solicitors work as I can't afford to approach them, so was hoping that someone cld point out the facts in a sensible manner or point me in a positive direction

Collaborate Tue 29-Jan-13 20:35:43

You're right. I don't have to answer. Thanks for pointing that out.

mumblechum1 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:42:03

Well, so far as contact is concerned I suggest that you don't do anything. If he's that bothered about seeing the children, he'll hire a solicitor and they will write to you with his proposals for contact. You can then deal direct with his solicitor and it won't cost you anything.

So far as housing is concerned, what is the current situation, and what do you want to happen? (what I mean by that is, is the house owned by you jointly, rented by him, or what's the situ?)

DemelzaTWM Tue 29-Jan-13 23:08:04

It would be worth finding out whether there is a law centre near you, they can often help with this kind of thing free of charge. Most Solicitors will need to have a meeting with you and take full details before being able to send a letter for you, so you would probably be looking at an hour and a half to two hours of time. As legal aid is pretty much going from the spring, some Solicitors are starting to offer very low hourly rates, on a par with legal aid, to people on low incomes. It may be worth ringing around to see if you can find someone who is offering that - although I appreciate that may just seem a bit too much to deal with after everything you have been through.

bexsybooboo Wed 30-Jan-13 07:39:56

Thank you both. I'm trying to be prepared its already been nasty but am on the edge as know its going to get a lot lot worse.
He is seeing a solicitor today, I don't know if this is for the charge of assault on me or for children and house so wanted to try and prepare with the limited funds I have available.
Thank you for your advice

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 30-Jan-13 07:43:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tiffinbaker Wed 30-Jan-13 07:46:31

Have you spoken to your local Citizens Advice Bureau?

PolterGoose Wed 30-Jan-13 22:17:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

perfectstorm Thu 31-Jan-13 16:54:35

Contact is his problem, not yours. If he wants to see the kids, he'll have to employ a solicitor and get them to write to you with suggestions. You don't have to accept the suggestions at all, either, you can suggest a contact centre only if you're happy with that, or even no contact pending the outcome in court.

Have you contacted Women's Aid for support and advice? I agree that's your best bet - they may also be able to put you in touch with a solicitor who would act for nothing in a case like this. Some do.

Remember - contact is for him to arrange, and it's his problem. He put himself in this position.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: